• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been to Rome....?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to Rome....?

I'm going for a long weekend at the end of January... where's good to eat, drink, visit, play....?

Originally posted by Bumner
    I'm going for a long weekend at the end of January... where's good to eat, drink, visit, play....?
    show off
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Anyone been to Rome....?

I haven't.

Comment

It isn't like you see on the Telly :-(

You eat - pasta.

You drink - wine. (It's cheaper standing up. In Bars, the increased price at the table is for the pleasure of sitting down, not for the service.)

If you don't know what there is to visit, why did you decide to go?

Play what?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Bumner
          a) eat: roughly everywhere. Try to avoid the most famous squares but look more at restaurants in the inner streets. Also avoid big chains like pastarito, they are not that good although they are reasonably cheap

b) drink: generally the center - Campo de Fiori, pubs around Via del Corso (there is a british pub near Piazza del Popolo called Victoria), Santa Maria Maggiore with the 2 oldest irish pubs, Trastevere. Most of pubs are not smoking. some of the few which have a smoking room are the Abbey Theatre near Piazza Navona and an irish pub near the Colosseum (can't remember the name).

c) visit: buy a book as there is so much to see

d) play: mmmm, that depends on how you play? Care to explain a bit better?
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
            I haven't.
            I've not been there either. But I have heard that when in Rome you should do as the Romans do.

Comment

why go?

...because I haven't been there..... been to lots of European cities ....thought it would be different.....
              Play.....????? I don't know..... you tell me.... (bull fighting/football) that's why I'm posting this

Comment

Originally posted by Xena
                I've not been there either. But I have heard that when in Rome you should do as the Romans do.
                What, have Toga parties....?

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                  You eat - pasta.
                  Wrong. There is also pizza.

...and a few hundred more dishes of excellent standards....

I personally love artichokes (they were in sainsburys yesterday for 1.50 each , you could have made a bunch of artichokes in Rome for that money), depending on the season I like puntarelle with anchovies, fried broccoli and fava beans with pecorino, mmmm straccetti alla romana also great. Tonnarelli cacio e pepe probably one of the best local pasta dish (but can't use pasta to reinforce your stereotype) alongside with the usual Carbonara (which is completely different from the one you are served in England) and Amatriciana (again completely different). Try also some fish restaurants, they are great, spaghetti with clums, seafood risotto, mixed grill, crayfish and so on...
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bumner
                    Play.....????? I don't know..... you tell me.... (bull fighting/football) that's [/QUOTE]

Olimpic Stadium. One week Lazio is playing and the other Roma is playing. No bull fighting sorry (although in the outskirt there are some illegal pitbull fights but I guess you need to know the locals as it won't be in the guide books I am afraid).

Comment

Working...
                    X