• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any better current accounts that RBS out there ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any better current accounts that RBS out there ?

Some backoffice monkey at RBS just made a decision to cancel a cheque of mine paid out to someone who doesn't mess about. The reason: "Your signature didn't match with what we had.", I haven't changed my signature in 20 years or so that I've been with RBS and never had a cheque get invalidated - also its a regular payee via cheque and I make regular payments to him.

Worst thing is that the reconcilliation guy never even bothered to contact me properly - no voicemail etc., he just sent a letter, if had been on holiday I would have been fecked with legal action for a default payment that was not my fault, I just wouldn't have caught it in time.

I've written a letter of complaint; question is: are there any better alternatives out there for current accounts ? Lloyds, HSBC etc ? or not really.

Are you still paying for things by cheque?

How quaint.

Wasn't there a thread about personal current accounts a week ago or so?

I moved my personal banking to First Direct in the early days and would thoroughly recommend them.

EDIT: It was here

Not so much of a discussion really just a few people saying how great First Direct are.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 18 March 2010, 02:06. Reason: Found the thread.

Comment

My thoughts are on the thread Gonzo linked to but wanted to re-iterate to stay away from Santander after having to deal with the yesterday for a mysterious £25 charge that appeared on my bank statement.

Without boring you with the details, true to form, they were as unhelpful as ever and this was in my local branch who tried on several occasions during the conversation to try to fob me off onto their Indian call centre to sort out rather than sort out there and then!

When I asked the lady at the branch if she'd ever spoken to them she smirked!

T0ssers!

Comment

I had a phone call from 1st Direct once, querying my signature. But it was mine. And it had already "cleared" from my account.

The ones my wife signed with my signature always went through without problem.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes.
          First Direct and Cater Allen.

Comment

Interesting that First Direct is a firm favourite but are their cash machine cards widely usable in the the UK and abroad or are you limited to their machines ? don't they conduct business over the phone mostly.

To Gonzo, no the wierd thing is I use my cheque book regularly but infrequently but always the same amount to the same (old boring) payee so I don't know why RBS thought that something was strange, sounds to me like the chimp never bothered checking my transaction history which would have half validated it. He didn't bother to call and leave a message when I didn't answer, so I only knew about this 4 days after the transaction should have gone through.

Word of warning: I would never go Santander / Abbey after a little episode 5 years ago where a blunder (by them where they had mis advised me and done something wrong) sent all my business account money straight to Her Majestys Treasury Solicitor, I had to go to the High Court to get the money back and Abbey Business (Santander) didn't lift a finger to help me at the top level (spoke to one of the chief underwriters) and to add insult to injury they tried to cheat me into signing a form that stated there would be no legal recourse (I would not be able to sue them) provided I signed their offer to pay my phone bills for the inconvinience, the missing amount ran over £200K and I was bouncing off the walls. Thankfully I got the money back but I had to pay the legal fees (which were suprisingly cheap) but it was nerve wracking.
            Last edited by eliquant; 18 March 2010, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
              Interesting that First Direct is a firm favourite but are their cash machine cards widely usable in the the UK and abroad or are you limited to their machines ? don't they conduct business over the phone mostly.

To Gonzo, no the wierd thing is I use my cheque book regularly but infrequently but always the same amount to the same (old boring) payee so I don't know why RBS thought that something was strange, sounds to me like the chimp never bothered checking my transaction history which would have half validated it. He didn't bother to call and leave a message when I didn't answer, so I only knew about this 4 days after the transaction should have gone through.

Word of warning: I would never go Santander / Abbey after a little episode 5 years ago where a blunder (by them where they had mis advised me and done something wrong) sent all my business account money straight to Her Majestys Treasury Solicitor, I had to go to the High Court to get the money back and Abbey Business (Santander) didn't lift a finger to help me at the top level (spoke to one of the chief underwriters) and to add insult to injury they tried to cheat me into signing a form that stated there would be no legal recourse (I would not be able to sue them) provided I signed their offer to pay my phone bills for the inconvinience, the missing amount ran over £200K and I was bouncing off the walls. Thankfully I got the money back but I had to pay the legal fees (which were suprisingly cheap) but it was nerve wracking.
              I've got a FD Visa Debit card that works in any cash point machine of any bank that I've tried without charge. I can check my FD balance using a Barclays cash point machine if I want. Most business is conducted by Internet, but their phone based service is great if you need it, i.e. prompt and helpful. From what I hear of other banks (and my own experience with Barclays) they are like an oasis in a desert of Bob based service awfulness and con artists. Cater Allen possibly excepted.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                Yes.
                First Direct and Cater Allen.
                Snap.

Both are thoroughly recommended by me.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                  Some backoffice monkey at RBS just made a decision to cancel a cheque of mine paid out to someone who doesn't mess about. The reason: "Your signature didn't match with what we had.", I haven't changed my signature in 20 years or so that I've been with RBS and never had a cheque get invalidated - also its a regular payee via cheque and I make regular payments to him.

Worst thing is that the reconcilliation guy never even bothered to contact me properly - no voicemail etc., he just sent a letter, if had been on holiday I would have been fliped with legal action for a default payment that was not my fault, I just wouldn't have caught it in time.

I've written a letter of complaint; question is: are there any better alternatives out there for current accounts ? Lloyds, HSBC etc ? or not really.
                  I left RBS for first direct and they are excellent. Cater Allen brilliant too. Feel I shouldn't be saying this though, as I've got lots of RBS shares!!!!

Comment

The Co-operative Group has seen profits surge as it attracted thousands of bank account customers disillusioned with Britain's big banks.
                    Co-op profits surge as customers desert UK's bigger banks
                    We might as well have saved some money and let them go bust.

Comment

Working...
                    X