• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Miami Vice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miami Vice

Just watched True Stories: Cocaine Cowboys which provided a fascinating insight into the cocaine trade in Miami in the late 70's/early 80's.

The amount of money that was being generated was phenomenal - one local bank used to take deposits of $12m a year but when the drug trade started to increase this shot up to $600m!

It was widely acknowledged that the city was built with drug money.

Recommended viewing.

I've watched it several times. It's like whole areas economy was based on it. When they shut down one 'pipeline' it didn't just affect the drugs, it also knocked on to banks, car dealerships, bars. Even fast food outlets also shut up shop as they didn't get so much business any longer...

One guy telling about how he helped tow the Coast Guard back into port when their engine blew up due to lack of maintenance, (they couldn't afford it,) unbeknownst that he had a hold full of cocaine in the built for purpose smuggling yacht.

In a similar vein you might like a book by Howard Marks aka 'Mr Nice'.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      There's tidy then, boyo.
      Soon out on video too, I believe...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Aye, he's a cross between Richard Burton and Keith Richards.

Senior Nice is also a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Just watched True Stories: Cocaine Cowboys which provided a fascinating insight into the cocaine trade in Miami in the late 70's/early 80's.

The amount of money that was being generated was phenomenal - one local bank used to take deposits of $12m a year but when the drug trade started to increase this shot up to $600m!

It was widely acknowledged that the city was built with drug money.

Recommended viewing.
          Sky+'d it, looked good from the first 5 minutes, seemed to be a bit long though, over 2 hours!
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            I've watched it several times. It's like whole areas economy was based on it. When they shut down one 'pipeline' it didn't just affect the drugs, it also knocked on to banks, car dealerships, bars. Even fast food outlets also shut up shop as they didn't get so much business any longer...
            The beginning of the programme was fascinating when it showed Miami as little more than a sleepy backwater populated by older people - similar to a UK coastal resort.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Sky+'d it, looked good from the first 5 minutes, seemed to be a bit long though, over 2 hours!
            It is a bit long and that does become apparent in the last 20mins which were un-necessary.
            i.e. they could have covered the same ground in less time.

Still worth watching though - available on YouTube!

Comment

Working...
            X