• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is this left-leaning BBC presenter?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is this left-leaning BBC presenter?

Can't believe the stupidity of this...

Link

I am sitting in a BBC Green Room. It’s school holidays, and I have no one to baby-sit Isabella, aged 6, so I bring her along to my interview. The programme presenter, well known for her liberal views, pops in: “Hullo – your daughter?” she smiles at Izzy. I nod, yes. The presenter looks at me: “State or private?”

Excellent. I'm going to start asking that whenever I meet anyone else's kids.

It's true what they point out though, that a lot of people who send their kids to independent schools do it by "making sacrifices" (i.e. the slightly melodramatic term for having less holidays and a cheaper car). I've got kids at both comprehensive and independent school, and the posh cars and clothes you see at the comprehensive school parents' evenings are in a different league to the old bangers and rags at the independent school. (Of course, we have to have two different cars and different outfits to wear so that we fit in at both places. It's terribly complicated.)

Comment

And I'm bet you make the nanny walk to the school gates, as well...

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Though the BBC is often slated for its left wing bias, I have to confess that I am hard pushed to think of a single female presenter who is "well known for her liberal views".

Comment

Surely it would be career threatening for a newsreader to become publicly known as supporting a particular cause?

My money is on Sophie Raworth.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Surely it would be career threatening for a newsreader to become publicly known as supporting a particular cause?

Don't think she's necessarily a newsreader. Could be on the radio. I initially thought Joan Bakewell but she's more old school liberal & not as likely to say something so crass.

Comment

Privately educated.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Privately educated.
                So was Charlie Whelan. Doesn't stop him from left-leaning...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So was Charlie Whelan. Doesn't stop him from left-leaning...
                  Not at all, no, but Raworth has never seemed very lefty to me. Much more like a rather irritating little girls' school goody two shoes.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Not at all, no, but Raworth has never seemed very lefty to me. Much more like a rather irritating little girls' school goody two shoes.
                    But you would though.... wouldn't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X