• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was it discussed already? ‘Indians-only’ job advert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it discussed already? ‘Indians-only’ job advert

Though it is not advertised as ‘Indians-only’.. Preferably of Indian origin...

It stated: 'Minimum six years of experience in IT . . . The person should be a UK citizen with security clearance from the UK Government. Preferably of Indian origin

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0iWJDbWIm
    Last edited by BoltonLad; 18 March 2010, 21:07.

I'm more frustrated by the fact that a permie job is demanding that the applicant must already be security cleared.
    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Looking at the rate.... With SC clearance... No need to mention.. they will get what they want....

Comment

Originally posted by BoltonLad View Post
        Looking at the rate.... With SC clearance... No need to mention.. they will get what they want....
        I'm always surprised how easy it is for non-nationals to get SC clearance.
        A case of cheap wins, I suppose.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I seem to recall being told by an agent once that I wouldn't be able to get SC because I'd spent so much time working abroad in the previous 5 years. Seems a little odd that an Indian would be eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            I seem to recall being told by an agent once that I wouldn't be able to get SC because I'd spent so much time working abroad in the previous 5 years. Seems a little odd that an Indian would be eligible.
            They aren't asking for an Indian - merely someone of Indian Origin.

On the SC form, there are two boxes that need to be ticked - have you lived abroad for more than 12 months? and have you lived outside the UK in the past 5 years? (For CTC I believe that this is 3 years, but may be wrong). If you can't tick those boxes, then getting SC is pretty difficult / nigh-on impossible / impossible.

Comment

I like the way that the worst rated comment on the news "story" says:

Well, if the successful applicant is going to required to work in India or with mostly Indians then it makes sense to employ someone familiar with the customs and and language, etc. I don't see how this advert for a job could be defined as 'racism.' Or is anything that refers to race now effectively racism.?
              current score -152!

Comment

Bear in mind this is a Daily Mail story, so likely to have the worst possible spin attached.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                  They aren't asking for an Indian - merely someone of Indian Origin.

On the SC form, there are two boxes that need to be ticked - have you lived abroad for more than 12 months? and have you lived outside the UK in the past 5 years? (For CTC I believe that this is 3 years, but may be wrong). If you can't tick those boxes, then getting SC is pretty difficult / nigh-on impossible / impossible.
                  Not so, I worked with an Aussie and a Lebanese guy. Both of them had been in the UK for less than a month. Their SC came through quicker than mine because there was no mechanism to check all of their history.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The story has "outrage" written all over it due to some DailyMail spice sprinklings.

However, the main story could be true about the advert having the clause.

You have to think, this kind of thing must have been going on for years but only just come out in public because of a copy/paste error.

Indian IT staff from companies like Wipro/Infosys come out here regularly on short term visa and then jump into such companies for any salary, just for that chance to stay in the country longer term.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X