• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP conflicts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP conflicts

At the office at home, I have a Netgear modem/router installed. Two laptops connect to this as well as a printer and NAS. I have fixed the IP address for the NAS and the printer and use the DHCP fucntionality to assign IP addresses to the laptops when they connect.

Recently I have started to experience connectivity problems. When the 2nd laptop connects it comes up with the message that the network connection has limited or no connectivity. Sometime it says that there is an IP conflict. I try repairing the connection but this does not always work. The only reliable way is to re-boot the router.

Any thought on what might be wrong or suggestions for a better, more permenant fix?

TIA

Static IP's for the laptops too?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Are the static addresses for the NAS and printer inside the range of the DHCP address pool?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Static IP's for the laptops too?
        That's one way but I was hoping to avoid that........

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          Are the static addresses for the NAS and printer inside the range of the DHCP address pool?
          No. I specifically put them as the 2 initial IP addresses and changed the scope of the pool to avoid conflict with them.

Comment

I have the same problem occasionally, apart from restarting the router you can log onto the router itself and manually release the IP's of the machine involved.

You could also try setting a very short time out on the DHCP allocation so it forces it to allocate a new IP every time a machine connects rather than trying to remember which ones are allocated between sessions.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              That's one way but I was hoping to avoid that........
              Why?

I have mine all on a fixed IP address so that I can then easily access shared drives as well. I find it much easier just to navigate to something that the hosts file identifies as "studypc" than remembering / guessing which IP address it is on.

It's also handy to see whether the machine has crashed or is still running - "ping studypc" (usual response - Windows has blue screened again, please come and switch me off and back on properly)
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                Why?

I have mine all on a fixed IP address so that I can then easily access shared drives as well. I find it much easier just to navigate to something that the hosts file identifies as "studypc" than remembering / guessing which IP address it is on.

It's also handy to see whether the machine has crashed or is still running - "ping studypc" (usual response - Windows has blue screened again, please come and switch me off and back on properly)
                You should still be able to do that with dynamic IP addresses. The router's DNS should store the Windows computer name against the IP address it has been assigned. No need to mess about with the hosts file either.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

do the static mapping on the router so when it see's your mac address it gives you the same IP each time

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                    You should still be able to do that with dynamic IP addresses. The router's DNS should store the Windows computer name against the IP address it has been assigned. No need to mess about with the hosts file either.
                    Ahhh - but mine works, and Mustang's doesn't

(Didn't know that, but am now too stuck in my ways to not do it that way)
                    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X