• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any problem handing out your certificate of Registration to an agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any problem handing out your certificate of Registration to an agent?

Hi,

I'm just starting out contracting. The agent has asked for a copy of my certificate of registration. I can't see why they need this when I've given the company number and name. They also want a copy of my passport or driving licence as well.

Is this standard practice for a contractor running through a limited company for the agency to ask for a copy of your certificate of registration?

Thanks

certificate of Registration of what? You Ltd company?

No, just give them the registered number, they can look it up.

Only show the certificate to Banks when you startup a business bank account with thim.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mantisimo View Post
      Hi,

I'm just starting out contracting. The agent has asked for a copy of my certificate of registration. I can't see why they need this when I've given the company number and name. They also want a copy of my passport or driving licence as well.

Is this standard practice for a contractor running through a limited company for the agency to ask for a copy of your certificate of registration?

Thanks
      There are some AML (anti money laundering laws) that require some application of 'The Know Your Client' guidance. However, I find it a little strange that a pimp would ask for such stuff, unless cross border money transfers are involved?

I would push back with the whole identify theft concern, and ask how they protect your confidential data. How and where it's stored, and in what form. Is it encrypted etc.

As I've contracted outside the UK for some years I have been asked to provide copies of ID cards and Passports, and have done so. I always make sure they are not too high resolution, and I overlay the words copy onto them. I hate doing this, but sometimes it is necessary.

I agree with Cojak. Tell them to use your Co Reg No, and if you have one your VAT number to validate your trading status. Offer to give them your accountants details, who will further validate your status.

I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Under the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, section 8 says that a number of checks need to be undertaken for a "work seeker" to prove that they are entitled to work in the UK. The list of documents that can be used to prove this was modified in 2004.

Agencies are trying to cover themselves by doing this check (which is why they ask for a passport and a bill to prove residency), when it is, in practice, unnecessary. You don't work for the agency, you work either for an umbrella (who should have done this check) or you work for a LTD (who again should have done the check for you). Strictly speaking, you could write a letter from your company to say that you have undertaken all checks to prove that the representative is allowed to work in the UK, and some agencies will do that (I worked with someone a couple of years back who had a massive row with the agency because they demanded to see his passport).

However, it is sometimes better just to go with the flow and provide the documentation that they ask for to prove that you can work in the UK. As anyone who knows me will tell you - I'm anything for an easy life
        If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Certificate of (Ltd co's) Incorporation perhaps?

Agents ask for this all the time. Dont have issues providing a copy of this myself.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

All the answers are correct, they shouldn't require it but the hassle in arguing the toss outweighs the time taken to scan and send. I like the suggestion to put COPY across it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
              All the answers are correct, they shouldn't require it but the hassle in arguing the toss outweighs the time taken to scan and send. I like the suggestion to put COPY across it though.
              My passport image that I send them has the passport number and bottom bit blanked out. My company and VAT certificate is stamped "This is a certified copy" by my accountant (which, of course it isn't any more, but that's beside the point).
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                certificate of Registration of what? You Ltd company?

No, just give them the registered number, they can look it up.

Only show the certificate to Banks when you startup a business bank account with thim.
                Yes this is normal. I've done over 30 contracts in my time and a copy of that and your vat certificate has been asked for well over 20 times.

Passport is less so.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've decided just to send the info out. I'm going to watermark in Photoshop I think just for a little piece of mind.
                  But I agree sometimes it's just easier to go with the flow for an easy life.

I'm glad to hear that it is common practice and that there are legitimate reasons for asking for the docs. You can never be too careful in this day and age.
                  Thanks all for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Yes this is normal. I've done over 30 contracts in my time and a copy of that and your vat certificate has been asked for well over 20 times.

Passport is less so.
                    This echos my experiences too - it is becoming more common.

I have had contract where the only details I have provided is the company name for the contract and the bank account number etc so that they could pay me.
                    If you want something to complain about, try working at DWP through Capita....

Comment

Working...
                    X