• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stand by, and watch 1992 happen all over again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand by, and watch 1992 happen all over again

Times

The similarities between the 1992 and 2010 elections are quite striking. In both cases the Opposition seemed to be playing into an open goal — an unpopular and uncharismatic Prime Minister, foisted on the nation without the benefit of an electoral mandate; a governing party that appeared exhausted and bereft of ideas; a severe recession that inflicted damage on middle-class voters. Then as now, the task of defending the Government’s dismal record seemed hopeless. Yet against all these odds, John Major won in 1992.
    Step outside posh boy

If it happens, Labour will suffer the most horrific defeat ever seen in 2015.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Many of the voters in 1992 still remembered the labour mess of the 70s (usual cycle at the end of a labour gov.) and what Maggie had done to make a prosperous late 1980s.

By 1997 everyone was rich. Mainly because they a) released the equity on their homes and bought boats and holiday homes or b) they just got 5 credit cards with 15K credit on each and no one seemed to bother they only had a 18K a year salary.

And so they felt that they should do the decent thing and spread the wealth ... voted labour. Labour duly taxed them to **** and gave to the public services and the chav classes.

And so in 2010 ... the cycle starts again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        Many of the voters in 1992 still remembered the labour mess of the 70s (usual cycle at the end of a labour gov.) and what Maggie had done to make a prosperous late 1980s.
        By 1997 everyone was rich.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
          anything you say

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post

Turns out it's easy to insert a smiley ...

Comment

Whoo ... two! Maybe one day I can produce a really good reply and go for 4 ...

Comment

Yup...

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Yup...

Comment

I really enjoyed 1992.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X