PDA

View Full Version : ADHOC Work available - not an agency

TwinSystems
6th January 2003, 18:41
IT Support Company (we are not an agency) is looking for adhoc hardware call contractors in the SW, Midlands NW and NE. Must have experience in at least one of the following:

AS400
Printers – HP, Genicom, IBM, Tektronix
All Desktop Hardware/Software
Servers Hardware/Software

If interested please send me your CV to paul.nelson@twinsystems.com

EddieC
6th January 2003, 18:45
All Desktop Hardware/Software

Wow do you really mean ALL? I might need to dig out some of my old DOS manuals. >D

McBainCo
7th January 2003, 12:09
TS,

I would be interested in knowing the level of response you will attract.

TwinSystems
7th January 2003, 16:20
We come across all types of old and new kit, I don't think DOS is going to be needed, though it will be helpful to have a little knowledge.

The response has been fairly good, but I am tending to get answer that are irrelevant to the needs of the company.

TommyFlockton
8th January 2003, 22:32
perhaps you could be more specific as to what level of experience you need? e.g. mcse certification, or x years in a support role, etc. I'd guess that many people on a site like this could, for example, install a new printer, or install a new HD, partition and format it, install an OS on it etc., even if they've never formally worked in a support role.

TwinSystems
9th January 2003, 09:02
Good point

We are looking for all standards of engineers who have had customer facing experience and have worked in a break fix environment.

We always make sure we send the correct resource for the right job, ie we wouldn't send an MCSE to look at an AS400 or someone who has only Software experience isn't going to be able to fix a printer.

Mad pistachio nut
10th January 2003, 16:29
Will you be adding a margin on to the rate to make a profit? If so, what makes you think you are not an agency? Are you the end user client?

TwinSystems
13th January 2003, 16:47
These jobs are for existing contracts that we have and haven't got the resources to go and fix the faults that are reported.

The contracts are normally paid quarterly in advance, we are looking for contractors to go in when the problems arise and resolve on first time fix rates.

We do pay market rates for certain jobs and engineers can generally walk away with £120 minimum per day. There is no mark up on the work carried out because the customer has already paid. If they have more problems than they have paid for then we run on a lose for that contract. It would be up to our sales team to get the figures correct.

:rolleyes

NodashAgency
13th January 2003, 18:06
Well done pistationut, someone comes on this board to find a contractor an you start bleating on about whether or not they are an agency. If you have nothing constructive to say "JUST SHUT UP". People wonder why more clients don't look for contractors direct, it might be that they someotimes have to deal with people like you.

Shylock Holmestein
21st January 2003, 00:35
Anyone how to get security cleared besides sign up for TA or working a permie role for BAe or other gov contractor?

:hat

threaded
21st January 2003, 07:07
It helps to be English or already work for a large Indian software house.

malvolio
21st January 2003, 12:08
Get a job that requires it and the employer will clear you. Now spot the slight snag...

a) apply for job that needs clearance
b) get refused for consideration because you are not cleared
c) go to (a)
d) get clearance from new client

There is a big argument raging about this in various places., mainly around abuse of process and apparent restraint of trade by various large HMG contractors. Do not hope for a speedy resolution!