• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think you have free will?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think you have free will?

See poll
    Yes. Well actually I think not, but my free will allows me to vote yes regardless
    42.86%
    No, I just blindly follow unknown rules that I only think I have control over
    33.33%
    AndyW could do whatever he liked
    23.81%

No, mine cost me more than a thousand euros. Bloody solicitors, they’re like contractors but more expensive.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I wanted to vote yes, but .......

Comment

As an intellectual exercise it's kept philosophers off the streets and out of trouble for centuries. As a practical question it's pointless.

If we don't have free will we have no awareness of that fact, so from our point of view we do, because we don't know we don't. If we do have free will then it's no different to the above.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          As an intellectual exercise it's kept philosophers off the streets and out of trouble for centuries. As a practical question it's pointless.

If we don't have free will we have no awareness of that fact, so from our point of view we do, because we don't know we don't. If we do have free will then it's no different to the above.
          Are we not in danger of falling into an excluded middle fallacy? Perhaps we have a sort of ‘bounded free will’ whereby we can choose freely within the bounds of those choices of which we are aware in any given context, but that we are restricted to the choices of which we are aware; that awareness is perhaps controlled by rules that are unknown to us.

In other words, I don’t know.

Comment

Eh?

I dunno about that.

But I do know about kittens and knitting.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Quite. And also, if we do have free will, where does it come from? What decides what choices we make if it isn't random or based on incognisant rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Are we not in danger of falling into an excluded middle fallacy? Perhaps we have a sort of ‘bounded free will’ whereby we can choose freely within the bounds of those choices of which we are aware in any given context, but that we are restricted to the choices of which we are aware; that awareness is perhaps controlled by rules that are unknown to us.

In other words, I don’t know.
                How do we choose? Are rules involved?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Quite. And also, if we do have free will, where does it come from? What decides what choices we make if it isn't random or based on incognisant rules.
                  Perhaps free will doesn’t come from anywhere; surely only restrictions can come from somewhere. A bit like cold. ‘Cold’ (not the snotty sniffly kind) doesn’t exist; it is merely the absence of thermal energy.

But that would mean that free will doesn't exist. Only restrictions can exist.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    Eh?
                    Thank God I'm not alone...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X