• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment

Economically inactive. People who aren't working because they are on long term sick, have given up looking or just don't claim the benefits.

They don't appear on the unemployment list, that's a separate number of people.

8.16 million economically inactive now represents a record 21.5% of the working population - the highest rate since 1996.

21.5% of the working population don't work.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Economically inactive. People who aren't working because they are on long term sick, have given up looking or just don't claim the benefits.

They don't appear on the unemployment list, that's a separate number of people.

8.16 million economically inactive now represents a record 21.5% of the working population - the highest rate since 1996.

21.5% of the working population don't work.
    I know it's a bit DailyMail-ish, but I'm always surprised when I take a morning or afternoon off during a weekday to see so many people shopping, etc. I expect it on a Saturday, of course, but it seems about as busy on a Wednesday.

I look at people incredulously and think "why aren't you all at work? What are you doing?"

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
      I look at people incredulously and think "why aren't you all at work? What are you doing?"
      Same as you
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Latest unemployment figures being crowed by the Brown Broadcasting Corp, is unemployment falling.

There are unemployment figures, long term unemployment figures and economically inactive.

The unemployment figures are those claiming job seekers allowance, this has fallen, but it is only paid for 6 months then it is means tested.

Long term unemployment is all those who have been unemployed for 12 months or more.

So the number of long term unemployed and the number who could work but aren't has shot up, but honestly, unemployment is falling.

Comment

Does my wife, who stays at home to give our kids the best possible start in life get tarred by the same brush?

There will always be economically inactive people and 21.5% does seem high, but I bet if you applied the same statistical methods to the working population 50 years ago (when fewer wives worked) I wonder what the percentage would be.

I still think that classifying some of these people as economically inactive (i.e. those that have given up looking for work) are still 'unemployed' and Labour are fiddling the figures.
          Beer
          is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
            Does my wife, who stays at home to give our kids the best possible start in life get tarred by the same brush?...
            I certainly wouldn't consider that to be economically inactive.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
              I know it's a bit DailyMail-ish, but I'm always surprised when I take a morning or afternoon off during a weekday to see so many people shopping, etc. I expect it on a Saturday, of course, but it seems about as busy on a Wednesday.

and polishing the bench
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I certainly wouldn't consider that to be economically inactive.
                The statisticians do.
                Beer
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
                  Does my wife, who stays at home to give our kids the best possible start in life get tarred by the same brush?
                  Of course: she's not contributing to the economy, and is therefore a drain on society. Anybody who chooses not to work falls into that category, even if their reasons are good.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Of course: she's not contributing to the economy, and is therefore a drain on society. Anybody who chooses not to work falls into that category, even if their reasons are good.

So I go back to my second point - are these figures really that bad compared to historical figures, i.e. say about 1950 ish.
                    Beer
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X