• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House shares vs hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House shares vs hotel

About to start a shiney new contract next week and have booked myself into first class rail transport and a reasonable hotel for the first week.

After the first week, however, I plan to slum it a bit to save some pennies and I was favouring the option of renting a room in a house share.

Can anybody offer any advice on this, such as is there anything I should look out for?

Would I be better off in a hotel? Of course I wouldn't be able to cook for myself, etc, but at least I will not have to wash the sheets.

I assume there is little law surrounding the renting of a single room rather than a whole property.

Any advice from the great colective knowledge on here would be great as i'm sure many of you would have encountered this scenario.

I used to rent a bedsit rather than rent a room in a shared house. That is, a room that has a cooker and fridge in it rather than a shared house with a shared kitchen. I couldn't quite see sharing a kitchen and having no room locks working, and the weirdos you might have to sit down and watch TV with, but some people say that's better than a bedsit.

Comment

I reckon (and it's only my opinion) that a studio flat is best, followed by a house share with a hotel the least favoured option.

With a hotel you have real problems with eating healthily - I found out I was also drinking too much as well. Plus you go stir crazy after a while.

The thing I'd hate about a shared house is not having my own bathroom but if you get an en-suite room I'd say go for it.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        I reckon (and it's only my opinion) that a studio flat is best, followed by a house share with a hotel the least favoured option.

With a hotel you have real problems with eating healthily - I found out I was also drinking too much as well. Plus you go stir crazy after a while.

The thing I'd hate about a shared house is not having my own bathroom but if you get an en-suite room I'd say go for it.
        I was never that bothered about sharing a bathroom, compared to sharing a kitchen. Bathroom duties for me only being minimal.

Comment

House Shares

Have a look on www.gumtree.com for houseshares and bedsits. Massive selection if you are based in London, not sure about other UK cities
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Thank for that. Agree that hotel is probably the least favoured.

Comment

I have done the hotel route, the serviced apartment route, and rented a room in a shared house.

Shared house was good fun - met new people, but they were all pretty much straight out of uni, looking for somewhere "cheap" in London to live while on a graddie wage. Make sure you get somewhere with it's own bathroom / en-suite - I wouldn't want to go back to student days again.

The main attraction that sold me the place I stayed (14 months) was the note on the fridge the day I went to look round:

Hi Guys! My name is Kate, I'm 20, Australian and a model / gym instructress!
              Yep - that did it for me. I was gutted when she moved out (guess she found the webcam )
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Should add - if you are in London, PM me if you are interested - a mate of mine runs a company that acts as a "virtual landlord". That's who I went through, but he wasn't in charge at the time.

I've just emailed him my requirements for a new 3 month gig in London, and am waiting for a decent place to come free.
                If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

I would not advise slumming it because the more you save, the more profit and hence tax you will pay.

I have always gone for hotels because of the flexibility and what you pay is what you get.

If you rent a room you are then classed as a lodger and have no rights unlike a short hold tenancy.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    If you rent a room you are then classed as a lodger and have no rights unlike a short hold tenancy.
                    I think that depends on whether the room has a lock, i.e. is a bedist/flatlet rather than just a room in a shared house. I always had a tenancy agreement.

Comment

Working...
                    X