• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 months of work thrown away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 months of work thrown away

Found out today that last 6 months of my work is being canned by clientco due to a forthcoming merger.

Ho hum, it's only cost them about £100k

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Found out today that last 6 months of my work is being canned by clientco due to a forthcoming merger.

Perfect - I love projects like that.

You do the work, get paid, but never ever have to support it or worry how things'll be once it goes into production!

Celebrate

Comment

Don't be mad, it's their money not yours ( well it is yours now ).

Besides, there is a better than even chance that after the merger and associated management reshuffles your new client co manager will come up with a bright idea for some developement that you can help them with...

And if he doesnt then you really need to work on your devious, underhanded manipulation of others skills.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ho hum, you obviously made some money out of it though.

I hope you've kept the source code.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Perfect - I love projects like that.

You do the work, get paid, but never ever have to support it or worry how things'll be once it goes into production!

Celebrate
          I worked on a merger of two systems after two companies merged. Six month later, they split and so there was another project to split the systems.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That's peanuts! I was working for a utility co in the north east back in 2000, they binned my project 4 weeks from the end (they'd just asked me to extend 4 weeks) which had cost them half a mill. No kidding.

And I guess even that is small fry.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It's happened to me before. I used to care.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yeap - then you will be back a fews years later to start it all over again..don't think what its cost client co - just think of what you have invoiced
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I can name a bank that might have recently merged with another bank who threw away about £2-3M quids worth of software & hardware, not to mention the consultancy costs to put it in in the first place.

That was only 9 months of my life, and I'd left by the time they did it but still a massive waste...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Got that all the time at one of my previous contracts.

Spent 6 months working on stuff only to be asked why I hadn't been told by my line manager that that part of the project had been canned

You gotta love communication or the lack thereof.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X