• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PL Insurance for Contractors. Is it a con?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PL Insurance for Contractors. Is it a con?

Got to admit. I have never paid for PL insurance as a contractor. Never.

Obviously I need it for the shop, but to be honest I'm not convinced I need it as a contractor.

So before I get flamed for that(which i dont care about).

Has anyone actually ever needed to rely on their PL Insurance for something? So only post in the affirmative if you have and why.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy
    Nor am I, but without it I wouldn't be 18 months into this contract as the agent/client insist on it to the point extensions aren't sent out unless they have a copy of my policy.
    I've never been asked. VAT Certificate, Certificate of Corporation, Passport, NI Number, References, Bank Details. yes yes yes yes yes yes.

PL Insurance . Never.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Have been asked by pimps for PL and EL certificates before.

Current pimp couldn't care less.

Comment

I view all insurance for the just in case sh*t happens event.

99% of the time you will never need any of it but the 1% of the time you do it's better to have it.

Oh and I only took out PL insurance when I started working on live systems.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Never had it never needed it - even when running mobile disco.

Comment

It depends which agent you are working through if any.

I've had one agent say no PL, no job in over 13 years. One or two have suggested having it but not said it was mandatory.

Had Public Liability for a shop I once had. Came in handy since some fat stupid old bint fell over her own walking stick because her equally fat stupid and younger daughter couldnt be arsed to come in the shop for her.

I got the letter from her solicitor and just passed it to the insurance co to sort out.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Got to admit. I have never paid for PL insurance as a contractor. Never.
              I've been required to get it by my current agent. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, I think it's a con and would cease trading at the first hint of any action against MyLTD and let them flog the dead horse.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Public liability insurance came free with my contents and EL insurance.

At lease I know I can poke anoying people in the eye when on work time.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Depends on what you are doing and what you need to insure against.

If you are involved in Service delivery or some pen pushing political role then maybe not but if you are elbow deep in a business critical database with Save right next to the Format button then take it.

Have a think about what you are working with and what the worst case is. If you could permanantly delete the entire customer database of a large telecoms with a the slip of the finger I would be insure up to the eyeballs. Just imagine the figure they could come after you for.

Granted you could go through life and never using it but you are gonna wish you had it when you are facing a multi million pound bill..

There is always the other side of it.. If you wanted to someone to work on your business critcal DB wouldn't you want him to be able to pay when he cocks it up as well. I would
                  Like all insurances, waste of time while you are ok but for that one day it all goes wrong it could save your life.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you are involved in Service delivery or some pen pushing political role then maybe not but if you are elbow deep in a business critical database with Save right next to the Format button then take it.
                    What has that got to do with Public Liability insurance?

Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X