• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RMT signal staff vote for strikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMT signal staff vote for strikes

After the BA strikes we are hearing about train company employees going for a siesta.

It isn't like these employees are being forced at gunpoint to go and work in these companies. So what is going on ? How could private sector companies let Unions become bigger than the company? And how could this happen during Labour in power and a few months before election ?

Thankfully I am not travelling anywhere this Easter, but if I was taking the train and it was cancelled because of strikes I would be supremely pissed.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

What I ...trying to hold back... hate about the RMT is the way the train staff get to wear the union tie and badge as if it is uniform.

Even the poles who are working on my trains now have them.

Honestly, sack the lot of them, the GMT are striking in Scotland over train guards on the new line between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

******* hate the lot of them.

EDIT: removed the obvious swear filter tryer: 4 hours a day commuting on the trains does that to you.
    Last edited by minestrone; 19 March 2010, 22:02.

Comment

Why are they striking ? It isnt a council job or anything where they are stuck for life. It's private sector, so why cant they do what we do and join another company? Surely their skills will be appreciated by a competing company ?
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Why are they striking ? It isnt a council job or anything where they are stuck for life. It's private sector, so why cant they do what we do and join another company? Surely their skills will be appreciated by a competing company ?
        ...calm...angry...calm...compose...

A drunken train driver who was caught three times over the alcohol limit after downing a bottle of whisky while on duty has been jailed for more than four months.
        linky

then there was the other guy who got so pissed on the job he forgot to open the doors and fell asleep leaving everyone stuck on the train and Edinburgh.

My rants could go on and on and on

Comment

The RMT. Are they the ones with that nice Mr Bob Crow in charge? He always comes across as such a personable conciliatory chap............NOT!
          He has the sort of face you'd never get tired of kicking!!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

A week of trains and I am having a nice time just now, Oban 14 year old, a bolivar, beach boys on the big speakers.

Give it monday morning I will be back on this thread.

Comment

Automate them and sack all the staff.. Sure it should be possible to have a robot train that was safer than one with a human driver.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Automate them and sack all the staff.. Sure it should be possible to have a robot train that was safer than one with a human driver.
                It'll only be another 10-15 years before we all live a life of luxury whilst robots do all our work for us....
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Erm, the signals people are them that look after and maintain the many automated systems on the railways: things like track circuits (you no longer need a guy at each end, the tokens are transferred electrically) the switches (you no longer need a guy at either end to push them over and make sure they're locked).
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    It'll only be another 10-15 years before we all live in vats of sludge while robots harvest our body heat for energy...
                    FTFY
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X