• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

and the enfusion of a GOOD QUALITY red wine will add to the taste

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and the enfusion of a GOOD QUALITY red wine will add to the taste

Hyper's comment,

got me thinking, yep a bit early for the new year to be thinking but all the same...

how much to pay for a bottle of wine ?

how much do the learned team normally pay for a bottle, I must confess,
    still paying about three euros a bottle, but the misses thinks
    we have room to go a little more up market

what wines do the learned team buy ?

me, try to stick to new world latin american products, cabernet sauvignons and merlots, can't go wrong

Milan.

It's not how much it costs, it's if you like it. I find new world wines too finished and smooth, like ribena. I prefer Chianti or Rioja and also partial to Chateau Neuf de Pape (Rothschild, 2001). 2000 was an execellent year for Bordeaux and st emillion. Holidayed in Chiantishire this year and spent a few days travelling about trying the wines and spending a small fortune (although cheaper than back in the UK) only to find the wine I preferred was the house red at the campsite restaurant. It was a blend of local wines that didn't make the grade?. If you're happy with the wine at 3 euros stick to it.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Exactly, Gibbon. The only thing the price tells you about a wine is how much of it was produced. Stick to what you like. If you like 3 euro blends, why spend more?

Comment

MiniMall sells a 1 litre bottle of Medinet for 3 Euros, it is a straight no nonsense French table wine, tastes a little watered down, but great value and doesn't bite.

In another shop they have a wooden box of six Rothschilds from 2001 for 60 Euros, I'd like to give it a try but worry I might buy six bottles of crap.

Any thoughts.

Best is to buy bottle by bottle on stuff that hasn't been previously tested.

Milan.

Comment

Normally pay around £5-7 for some quaffable - have paid around £15 for a good meal - like Margaret River stuff from Australia - bought back a load of stuff when I was flying from Jandakot. You can get some from Majestic (Amberley Estate).

Best wine I had was from my ol' pa who opened some 1982 Les Brulieres (Bordeaux Haut-Medoc). Hate to think how much that would be nowadays...

Also while in Fremantle, kept visiting a local offy until the manager said I obviously liked wine, opened a trapdoor and waved me down into a massive underground cellar. I picked up a bottle of Chardonnay 1989, straw coloured and around £35. Can't remember the label but it was a local Oz one - last bottle, absolutely fantastic.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Your taste is your taste. The Rothschild does actually seem good value so give it a try and if you don't like it sell it to Planetit for his Pheasant. I can guarantee you that it won't be six times better than your usual tipple though. Keep it for those important networking gifts and to impress any dinner party guests.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
              Your taste is your taste. The Rothschild does actually seem good value so give it a try and if you don't like it sell it to Planetit for his Pheasant. I can guarantee you that it won't be six times better than your usual tipple though. Keep it for those important networking gifts and to impress any dinner party guests.
              I certainly will give it a go - always happy for someone to suggest good stuff - many thanks!

Comment

Can't find the Rothschild Châteauneuf , but plenty of Rothschild Mouton and Lafite available... can you recommend a place to get some?

Comment

this stuff is in a airport shop

Milan.

Comment

Got mine from Costco

Comment

Working...
                    X