• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder IT has a bad reputation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder IT has a bad reputation

My current plan C involves helping small businesses negotiate IT services.

A client has bought "business" hosting with 1 & 1.

Their domain & email has been down for over a week now. This is the latest email from 1 & 1. Quite apart from the language, they can't even give a best guess as to when they might fix it.

Dear Xxx Xxxxxxx, (Customer ID: #########)
    Thank you for contacting us.
    As checked on case history about on the account #########), notes are added about connection to FTP for domain name xxxxxxxx.com we would like to verify, are you referring to this concern? Upon checking on notes here about the concern we here at technical support department have replicated the concern however the trouble shoting steps we have done did not work to resolved the concenr. For this we have in here that the case was escalated to our admininistrator to check on back end concern.
    t the moment, we do not have an estimated time frame for the fix however rest assured that we are currently working on a resolution. Once we have the fix, it will be implemented and to ensure that your case will be taken cared of, we will be monitoring updateds from our administrators about this.We understand that you might be anxious to have this resolved as soon as possible so thank you so much for your patience while we work on the resolution.
    If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Remember folks, if it's cheap, it's often nasty.

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    My current plan C involves helping small businesses negotiate IT services.

A client has bought "business" hosting with 1 & 1.

Their domain & email has been down for over a week now. This is the latest email from 1 & 1. Quite apart from the language, they can't even give a best guess as to when they might fix it.

Remember folks, if it's cheap, it's often nasty.
    Fook me. Could not make head nor tail of that email you here posted.
    That's where my plan B is taking off. By making IT understandable, accessible, affordable.

A blend of being tuliphot, approachable, honest. Who knew?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

In short when it's fixed it's fixed but they don't know when it will be.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Stick a rocket up their updations. Not good enough and you will to be movings your business elsewhere.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Ha ha, they've just sent me this...

Dear Xxx Xxxxxxx,
          On 19.03.2010 you, or one of your colleagues, contacted Xxxxx Xxxxxx from our technical support department.
          We are constantly striving to improve our service performance and your opinion is greatly appreciated.
          You can help us by evaluating our service at:
          <link removed>
          This will only take a minute or two of your time.
          It'll take more than a minute or two to convey my true opinion of their service.

Comment

It'll take more than a minute or two to convey my true opinion of their service.
            The survey will be written so you can only answer yes or no.

If you answer no and manage to get across they are terrible they will be hassling you for weeks from some call centre.

I think you need to send a copy of the emails to these guys - http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/contact-us.html (The contact details are on the bottom of the page. )
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wish I was an admininistrator. It sounds somehow a bit Snoop Dogg.

Comment

Nonsense. The keys "F", "C", "U", "K", "Y", "O", "U", "I", "N", "M", "P", "E", "T", "B", "A", "S", "R", and "D" are right next to each other
                Last edited by NickFitz; 21 March 2010, 18:10.

Comment

Over a year ago Demon sent me one of those requests to give your opinion of their service. After counting to 10, I spent the best part of a day gathering all the facts and then, after counting 10 once again, giving them my considered reply.

Result! Last time I had a bill from them to pay I was able to pay it straight away with no problems.

So I feel it was well worth the effort. So I would recommend it, if only for the catharsis.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Over a year ago Demon sent me one of those requests to give your opinion of their service. After counting to 10, I spent the best part of a day gathering all the facts and then, after counting 10 once again, giving them my considered reply.

Result! Last time I had a bill from them to pay I was able to pay it straight away with no problems.

So I feel it was well worth the effort. So I would recommend it, if only for the catharsis.
                    My final dealing with Demon (having been offline for weeks) was to send, by recorded delivery, the printouts of the online conversations with their techies which proved Demon had been lying to me for weeks.

They 'lost' the recorded delivery evidence.

I had not taken copies.

Then they took 6 months payments all at once and cut me off permanently.

When their founder was sent to prison, I bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate.

As for the thread about sending poo through the postal service, I had seriously considered doing just that to Demon.

Search engine keywords: Demon Internet online service appalling billing fail

Edit: Google results: "Results 1 - 10 of about 29,100 for demon internet service fail appalling billing."
                    Last edited by RichardCranium; 21 March 2010, 11:38.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X