• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High Speed Rail Link Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Speed Rail Link Petition

Here is one worthwhile signing!

They have drawn an arbitrary line for the part that goes through our area without surveying the land to see if it is possible to actually build it there, they have not talked to anybody to get their opinions and the track has been designated as going through a lot of peoples houses and the only time they found out was when it hit the press.

Definitely worth signing IMHO.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/railhighspeed/

The high speed rail proposal looks to completely destroy areas of outstanding natural beauty between London and Birmingham - a tunnel under Old Amersham, trains that travel at 320kmph close to our children's schools - this cannot be the right thing to do?

Because trains in tunnels have a habit of emerging up through schools and killing the children?

WTF has children's schools got to do with it?

There is no link to any maps or plans. There is no reasoned argument. There is no proposed alternative.

What a doomed poll that is.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Duly signed and good luck !
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Duly signed and good luck !
        I've walked round the Chilten Hills. I've signed.

Comment

Oh well. Perhaps the A41 needs to be widened.

Another 20 years of Aston Clinton residents complaining "NIMBY!" about the road traffic.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            There is no link to any maps or plans. There is no reasoned argument. There is no proposed alternative.
            Indeed. Where's the route that's better than the one planned; where people won't mind the country side being torn up; where people won't mind high speed trains nowhere near their children's schools, and that makes more sense for a high speed link than going in as straight a line as possible. Tell me and I'll sign your petition.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              ...that makes more sense for a high speed link than going in as straight a line as possible.
              Exactly. A great-circle route is what they need

Comment

We got 900 objections to the local park being built on, council just ignored them.

The feckers were a bit slow and I own all the URLs to the names of the sites.

They are going to find it hard to sell a house on that land now.

Comment

Here are some links for you then:

http://www.globalmapping.uk.com/brac...nline_post.asp

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/hi...df/leaflet.pdf

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/hi...rail/lontobhm/

The main problem is they have just drawn a straight line on a map with little thought as to the consequences. They have gone straight through the middle of many residential areas without thought.

The lowest point is that they didn't consult any home owners that have homes in the route of the proposed line, one morning they woke up and found out in the news that their houses have been selected for destruction for this pointless London to Birmingham link to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Oh well. Perhaps the A41 needs to be widened.

Another 20 years of Aston Clinton residents complaining "NIMBY!" about the road traffic.
                    Well the upgrade of the West Coast main line was to make it into a high speed link.

However, the government said X billion that's too much, you can have x - n billion.

Thus the West Coast line never got to be the high speed link intended. Why not just go back to plan A and upgrade the West Coast line to be a high speed link.

It may take longer, it may cost more, but it will not spoil more countryside.

Comment

Working...
                    X