• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-ministers in 'cash for influence' row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex-ministers in 'cash for influence' row

Ministers have condemned ex-cabinet colleagues who were secretly filmed apparently offering to try to influence government policy in return for cash.

Labour MP Stephen Byers was recorded as saying he would work for up to £5,000 a day and was like a "cab for hire" in the Sunday Times and Channel 4 probe.

Patricia Hewitt allegedly said she would need up to £3,000. Both MPs firmly deny any wrongdoing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8578597.stm

Pat Hewitt involved in sleaze does not surprise me at all IMO, her involvement with awarding contracts to Accenture should be investigated.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

It is like the end days of the John Major government all over again.

<sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      It is like the end days of the John Major government all over again.

<sigh>
      But will we actually get rid of them?

<sigh>
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nice daily rate. Sounds like a contractor. Wonder if he's applying IR35 on it.

Edit: Mind you, 12.8% on zero is still zero - which is what he can expect from now on as no-one will touch him with a bargepole.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Labour MP Stephen Byers was recorded as saying he would work for up to £5,000 a day and was like a "cab for hire" in the Sunday Times and Channel 4 probe.
          Actually, when asked he said he would charge between £3,000 and £5,000 a day.

Obviously wouldn't make a good contractor with those negotiation skills

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Actually, when asked he said he would charge between £3,000 and £5,000 a day.

Obviously wouldn't make a good contractor with those negotiation skills
            After what has happened today I think he will be lucky to get that now.

Comment

Byers, Hewitt, and Hoon suspended from Parliamentary Labour Party

Hewitt is my MP... I demand a refund if she's not going to be at work

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Byers, Hewitt, and Hoon suspended from Parliamentary Labour Party

Hewitt is my MP... I demand a refund if she's not going to be at work
                She is only suspended from the Party, not from Parliament.

I think that you can rest assured that she will continue to work hard in Parliament on your behalf.

Comment

I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg, however the iceberg has been in the same place for decades...

Politics in the UK is every bit as corrupt as in the banana republics and dictatorships that parliament likes to criticise. Our "democracy" is a complete sham, we don't even have fixed term parliaments so a PM can call a convenient election when he feels the wind is in the right direction to secure another 4-5 years. The manifestos the parties publish have no validity as there's bog all to force an elected party to keep their promises.

The party and whip system is a total farce and since the votes are far from secret it's all too easy to force votes through against the best interests of the MP's constituencies.

Comment

Working...
                  X