• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running

I've been trying to get fit over the last few weeks mostly through gym visits & running.
    The gym hurts but I generally feel good when I come out. The running is no fun at all though. I'm up to 18 miles but it just makes me feel awful; the problem is I get a really bad upset stomach toward the 2nd half of the run (no Paula Radcliffe style "comfort breaks" yet though) & I generally feel awful for the rest of the day. Any runners out there got any advice on how to deal with this? I thought getting fit was supposed to make you feel GOOD!

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I've been trying to get fit over the last few weeks mostly through gym visits & running.
    The gym hurts but I generally feel good when I come out. The running is no fun at all though. I'm up to 18 miles but it just makes me feel awful; the problem is I get a really bad upset stomach toward the 2nd half of the run (no Paula Radcliffe style "comfort breaks" yet though) & I generally feel awful for the rest of the day. Any runners out there got any advice on how to deal with this? I thought getting fit was supposed to make you feel GOOD!
    18 miles is pretty serious running, so fair play to you.

I would suggest your problem is nutrition. Have a wander round t'internet, for nutritional advice for runners...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Run shorter distances faster and vary the pace to make your heart rate go up and down. Use the rowing machine at the gym; it's the only machine that's worth its price. If you want to do really long distances for stamina, do them on a bike instead. Unless of course you want to be a marathon runner.

Take a look at the picture and choose the shape you'd like to be. OK, so I'm assuming you won't be resorting to anabolic naughtiness, but just think about the shape you want to be and how to achieve that.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When I was a runner, I couldnt eat or drink for about 4 hours before a run. A friend, who was an ace runner, couldnt run on an empty stomache.

It was all in the mind, maybe you need to experiment

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

18 miles is a long way.

Sounds like you're getting stomach cramps so you're probably not taking enough fluids on board during your run.

This linky might help
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Maybe it’s a bit personal, but what kind of body shape do you have?

Fatso/normal but a bit tubby/muscular but tubby/muscular without a tummy/thin but with a tummy/thin without a tummy/emaciated?

Also, your cramps can come from undertrained and overworked abdominal muscles. Your abdominal muscles work hard in lifting your leg when you run so they need to be well developed. Try doing some abdomen specific training. Crunches, pilates etc.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've discovered that most folks are chronically de-hydrated and have way too much salt in their diet. (Table type salt that is, it is other sorts of salt they are missing, but I digress). They then start doing fitness stuff and their bodies just can't make enough sweat to keep them happy, so they overheat and then feel real bad afterwards.

Most of these problems are down to not getting enough water and electrolytes. So I'd suggest a 2l camel-back, with some Maxim energy drink in the water.

You should aim to weigh the same or a little more at the end of your run as when you started.

Mich the Tester is correct when he says shorter more intense workouts to make your heart rate go up and down is the best way to fitness. Long runs are only good if you're training to do long runs: you can be relatively un-fit and still complete a marathon with training... (I compete well in 24 hour MTB races ;-)
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                18 miles is a long way.

Sounds like you're getting stomach cramps so you're probably not taking enough fluids on board during your run.

This linky might help
                Yeah, I never drink while I'm running it gives me a bad stitch

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Maybe it’s a bit personal, but what kind of body shape do you have?

Fatso/normal but a bit tubby/muscular but tubby/muscular without a tummy/thin but with a tummy/thin without a tummy/emaciated?
                muscular / slightly tubby - rugby player build

Comment

Yeah, I never drink while I'm running it gives me a bad stitch

muscular / slightly tubby - rugby player build
                  yep, that was me too. I know it goes against all the received wisdom, but I used to run with no fluids for hours before and during.

In those days it was called interval training

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It's quite right that intense session in the GYM will make you feel better, I am guessing what you are describing is in effect overtraining. Though Hydrating yourself correctly and managing your diet will imrove the way you feel during and after your run, building stamina is something that takes time - yes you can go and make yourself run 18 miles but you are just putting your body under immense stress, you need to build up to this gradually to actually enjoy it, 10% a week is a given average increase. You say you have been doing this for a few weeks I guess that you need to make this paced run a little shorter and avereage your mileage over a week 3/4 sessions I am guessing from what you say you should consider settling for about 25-30 miles a week then making CONSISTANT increases.
                    Put a couple of good speed sessions in during the week, Intervals/Tempo/Kenyan Hill/Fartlek
                    And find a race and enter it - thats something that will make running feel good!

Comment

Working...
                    X