• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English Electric Lightning.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Electric Lightning.

Watched Brian Cox's prog last night.

He flew in an English Electric Lightning to 60,000ft to demonstrate the curvature of the Earth and the thin blue line of the atmosphere.

Spectacular aircraft for 1959.

We did good stuff in those days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Lightning

Not to mention Blue Streak and Black Arrow.

Lions. Donkeys. Doomed. Etc.

And

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Canberra

was used by the Septics for spy flights before they thought of sticking ridiculously long wings on the Starfighter.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 6 April 2017, 09:35.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Watched Brian Cox's prog last night.

He flew in an English Electric Lightning to 60,000ft to demonstrate the curvature of the Earth and the thin blue line of the atmosphere.

Spectacular aircraft for 1959.

We did good stuff in those days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Lightning

Not to mention Blue Streak and Black Arrow.

Lions. Donkeys. Doomed. Etc.
    TSR2

I still have bits of one.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

I saw that, v.impressive. Said max height 60,000 but actual flight ceiling for the Lightning 'classified'.

Wondered who the guy was at first and thought he seemed a n0b but i warmed to him by the end. Good program.

Seeing that vertical takeoff though . I'd have lost my lunch there i think!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Watched Brian Cox's prog last night. ...
        I can't watch the guy for more than a few minutes. His window-licking mong-like grin irritates me too much after a while, which is a shame because what he covers is intrinsicly very interesting and I'm sure he's a nice guy.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I can't watch the guy for more than a few minutes. His window-licking mong-like grin irritates me too much after a while, which is a shame because what he covers is intrinsicly very interesting and I'm sure he's a nice guy.
          I think his grin comes from genuine enjoyment of his subject. I wish there were more science teachers like him.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            His window-licking mong-like grin irritates me too much after a while,

He's good but so overused by the BBC now as it's "Face of Physics" that alas he has become a tad irritating.

The Scottish guy doing the geology stuff a few weeks back was good, genuinely interesting and passionate about his subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              I saw that, v.impressive. Said max height 60,000 but actual flight ceiling for the Lightning 'classified'.

Wondered who the guy was at first and thought he seemed a n0b but i warmed to him by the end. Good program.

Seeing that vertical takeoff though . I'd have lost my lunch there i think!!!!
              Originally posted by Wikipedia
              In 1984, during a major NATO exercise, Flt Lt Mike Hale intercepted an American U-2 at a height which they had previously considered safe from interception. Records show that Hale climbed to 88,000 ft (26,800 m) in his Lightning F 3 XR749.
              Which must have annoyed the sceptics.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ah, a great series. Methane rain on Titan. Methane functions there much as water does here, existing in solid, liquid and gaseous form. Trouble with Titan, even though it has a not too uncomfortable atmosphere, the air is quite deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Only if you're a water based carbon life form that breathes oxygen.

Methane breathers are quite happy.
                  We aren't sure if there are any yet. There are supposedly bodies in the solar system that could support some of our terrestrial bacterial extremofiles though, which I find stagbgering. Don't recall if Titan is included.

Comment

Lightnings, very impressive as a man guided rocket, FA real use as warplane.

It only carried 2 early generation heat seeking missiles, and couldn't intercept low flying targets very well as it only had a pulse radar.

The Phantom F4 was a massive improvement, but not as much as TSR would have been. 8 missiles and a pulse doppler radar.

If we'd still had carriers that could accomodate them in 1982 the Argie air force would have toast.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X