• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. XII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. XII

Yet another bag of web-based pick'n'mix for your edification:
    • The Psywarrior - Former US military Psychological Operations officer Ed Rouse has a fascinating and exhaustive history of PsyOps from World War I to the present. I particularly like the BBC's English as a Foreign Language lessons broadcast to Hitler's invasion force: "...and so it will be best if you learn a few useful phrases in English before visiting us... Now, just repeat after me: ‘DAS BOOT SINKT.’ The boat is sinking. The boat is sinking... Now I will give you a verb that should be very useful. Again, please repeat after me. ICH BRENNE. I am burning. DU BRENNST. You are burning..."

• It’s Not the Recession, You Just Suck - "That’s the thing, people don’t want to work. They want a job and a paycheck. And those cushy jobs with those cushy paychecks are the first to go. Because really all those people are doing is taking up space." Some plain speaking from Lisa Barone: this should get your entrepreneurial spirit into overdrive.

• The History of the Honey Trap - "Five lessons for would-be James Bonds and Bond girls -- and the men and women who would resist them."

• Google's SEO Report Card - Google looked at their own products to see how well they did at some basic SEO tasks. Definitely not perfect, was the answer. The full report is a 2.1MB PDF; here's a bonus linky to the Google SEO Starter Guide.

• Alison Jackson uses lookalikes to create images of the famous apparently caught in strange or embarrassing situations. This is a gallery of her work.

• My Head is in the Cloud - "Before heading to the emergency room, I climbed into the back of the ambulance where I asked her if she wanted me to call her boyfriend. She said she did, but she didn’t know his telephone number. It was lost along with her now obliterated cell phone, and she had never committed the number to memory." Dave Pell considers some of the many things we no longer feel the need to remember.

• The Hidden Meaning of Lady Gaga's "Telephone" - "There are, yet again, a whole bunch of Illuminati/mind control symbols in Lady Gaga’s latest video. I can’t say I was surprised..." I think this chap is being satirical. I certainly hope so.

• If you became the last person on Earth, what would you do? Realistically. - "I'm not a survivalist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night." Reddit user Eschuk has given lots of thought to his last-of-humankind to-do list.

• SQL Injection Attacks by Example - "The login page had a traditional username-and-password form, but also an email-me-my-password link; the latter proved to be the downfall of the whole system." Steve Friedl pwns a client's site (at their request), and explains here just how he managed it.

• In Praise of Loopholes - "Nobody likes a cheater. But figure out a clever method for exploiting a loophole, and you’ll become the stuff of legend." Matthew Baldwin discusses various weird loopholes people have exploited, including the man who got twelve million frequent flyer miles by buying twelve thousand puddings - and then got a tax break for giving the puddings to charity.

Happy invoicing!

Working...
X