• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Politicians and corruption

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Politicians and corruption

They're at it again.

I always thought of the Brits as a reasonably uncorrupted nation, say when compared to most 3rd world countries but latest episode got me thinking that actually that's complete and utter bollocks.

Expenses, cash for questions etc. I mean these are the guys at the top of the political tree, and they're almost all at it. How bad does it get when you go a rung or two down the ladder, to the local councilor level. How many of those fckers are taking backhanders etc.

I'm not even there any more but it makes my blood boil. There really needs to be an independent body that's got no relationship whatsoever with politicians beyond policing them, and more than that some of these greedy bastards need to get jailed. And I'm not meaning the easy obvious ones either. It needs to stop!
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Any independent body would be corrupted, be toothless or useless also sucking up even more taxpayers money.

The problem in our society is erosion of values, we used to be more God-fearing and voluntarily live by good values but not anymore. We lack Church leaders with bottle and real conviction to tell it like it is and call the country to repentance.

We also lack a political movement from the grass roots to make real change. If people vote for Lib/Lab/Con again then we will get more of the same.

The lack of values means more money being spent policing everyone for everything where previously people lived voluntarily in a more moral way.
    Last edited by contractor79; 23 March 2010, 01:43.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      They're at it again.

I always thought of the Brits as a reasonably uncorrupted nation, say when compared to most 3rd world countries but latest episode got me thinking that actually that's complete and utter bollocks.

Expenses, cash for questions etc. I mean these are the guys at the top of the political tree, and they're almost all at it. How bad does it get when you go a rung or two down the ladder, to the local councilor level. How many of those fckers are taking backhanders etc.
      I came to the same conclusion about 15 years ago. They're all completely bent.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        The problem in our society is erosion of values, we used to be more God-fearing and voluntarily live by good values but not anymore.
        In April 1948, Joad was convicted of travelling on a Waterloo-Exeter train without a valid ticket. Although he was a frequent fare dodger, he failed to give a satisfactory excuse. This made front-page headlines in the national newspapers, and the fine of £2 (£54 as of 2010) destroyed all hopes of a peerage and resulted in his dismissal from the BBC. The humiliation of this had a massive effect on his health, and he soon became bed-confined at his home in Hampstead. His fame and broadcasting career were over.
        - The downfall of popular "philosopher" C. E. M. Joad

He was caught travelling First Class with a Third Class ticket. I can't see anybody nowadays allowing that to destroy their career and send them into a terminal decline.

People will seek to get away with whatever they think the majority would be willing to try and get away with themselves. In 1940s society, where most people would never have been prepared to compromise their morals over a two shilling train ticket, being seen to do so was enough to destroy a famous man's career.

It's hardly surprising that politicians nowadays think they can get away with fiddling expenses and having their palms greased - sorry, "acting within the rules" - when so many are trying to do the same ("within the rules").

Many of the harshest critics (I don't mean here in General, just in general) of these people are speaking from a perspective of envy rather than morality: if they managed to get themselves into a position where such opportunities came their way, they'd be straight on the gravy train. "Within the rules," of course.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I came to the same conclusion about 15 years ago. They're all completely bent.
          Not all are bent, most do stuff they would have done anyway and the money is nice, so in a mildly non-bothering way. Then there are a few that are so bad you've no idea. Serious hard core crims that have got themselves into political office for their organisations. They do things that I've seen make a world weary man cry.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Sorry for the Daily Wail link, it was in my twatter stream.

http://is.gd/aTXls
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
            X