• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP Re-install

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP Re-install

Got a copy of XP from an engineer friend if I want to use it.

Problem being I had a virus that disabed Windows Update. I have now managed to get Windows Update working, and had a couple of clear runs with Microsoft Security Essentials, so looking a little more hopeful.

However, as an old works laptop, things like System Restore are disabled.

Can I re-install Windows XP keeping existing data like outlook mails etc, or, would I need to save as .pst to memory stick or cdrom and hope this gets re-installed ok?

Finally - my laptop is split into 2 drives - primary drive is the C drive but only 15G - how can I make this larger and take from the D drive?

This is why I am not a technical IT person - documentation and process is more my thing!!

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    This is why I am not a technical IT person - documentation and process is more my thing!!
    Are you sure process is your thing, cause there's a CUK process of asking this kind of question in technical ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

<snigger...>
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Backup your data, whatever you do. Regarding resizing your disk - search for repartitioning.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

..and I'm sure you're legally entitled to use the XP CD aren't you.

(Tip: there's a right answer and a very wrong answer to this question.)

Looks over shoulder to see if NAT overheard...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

As said before, get a USB stick or USB hard drive and back up everything you want from the machine. Then you can use something like PowerQuest Partition Magic to resize the disk or combine the two into one or whatever.

I would do this first while you still have operating system intact.

Once you have done this you can stick in the Windows disk, boot from it and follow the instructions to format the c: drive and reinstall Windows.

Bear in mind that if you are using Outlook for mail not only will you need a legal copy of Windows you will also need a copy of Office as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Will you be using the license key from your 'mate' or the original one from the clients machine?

Do you know where he got this copy from? If the key has already been used on another machine you could face issues.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Looks over shoulder to see if NAT overheard...
                Wilmslow is an upright member of the community, according to those who have met him (or perhaps it was just the way he was standing).

If you do a reinstall, Wilmslow, you should make sure you download the Genuine Advantage tool, just to verify that it is a legit copy.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Assuming that the current version is legit, you can still use another key to do the install, then download the MS Key Updater tool and swap the key to the original one.

I've had to do it a few times when I reinstalled Windows - the CD I have is SP2 but the key is for the original XP. Install with a "borrowed" key, then swap it as soon as Windows starts to the original - no problems.
                  If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    Got a copy of XP from an engineer friend if I want to use it.

Problem being I had a virus that disabed Windows Update. I have now managed to get Windows Update working, and had a couple of clear runs with Microsoft Security Essentials, so looking a little more hopeful.

However, as an old works laptop, things like System Restore are disabled.

Can I re-install Windows XP keeping existing data like outlook mails etc, or, would I need to save as .pst to memory stick or cdrom and hope this gets re-installed ok?

Finally - my laptop is split into 2 drives - primary drive is the C drive but only 15G - how can I make this larger and take from the D drive?

As already been said... backup your data first before reinstalling or repartitioning. Also use a License key finder (like http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/) to find any software license keys you wish to keep. Print the keys off and reinstall XP. Delete both partitions and recreate them, if you are willing, and start from scratch.

Simples.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X