• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb election questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb election questions

1)It can't be more than a handful of weeks before an election has to be held, but has the date actually been announced yet? I haven't heard it mentioned on the news either as a main story or in passing, has it been called and I missed it?

2)My constituency in the North East is a strong Labour seat, as far as I'm aware. I think that means I have to play it tactically if I want to get Labour out. Where can I get historical election result data by UK constituency to help me see the facts?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

1) Not announced yet. It takes 4 weeks to organise, so they won't announce until required. However, there are local elections on 6 May, so it will most likely be then.

2) BBC have a good site. Not sure where official results can be found, electoral commission may be a good place to start?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

1) My understanding is that although no formal announcement has been made, it will be held at the same time as some local elections which are planned for early May anyway (6th?)

2) You have little scope for having any impact anywhere in the North East. Labour could put a chimpanzee up for election(and indeed have on numerous occasions!) and provided he wore a red rosette he'd be returned with a healthy majority.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        1) Not announced yet. It takes 4 weeks to organise, so they won't announce until required. However, there are local elections on 6 May, so it will most likely be then.
        What's the latest they're allowed to do it, June sometime? Waiting until the last minute is normally seen as a bit of a weak position isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          What's the latest they're allowed to do it, June sometime? Waiting until the last minute is normally seen as a bit of a weak position isn't it?
          Normally, but under the circumstances it is difficult to see how things could be worse. More likely just clinging onto the mast until the whole ship is completely submerged.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

1) There is talk that the paraphilia indulging, pant-pissing snot goblin will go and see the other queen on Thursday.

2) Not looked but I'd say the BBC too. There will be loads of on-line sites with the data when it all starts, they are probably up and running already.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The election must be held by 3rd of June. Most commentators suspect 6th May is the most likely date.

I just checked the wikipedia entry which ominously reminds us

The next United Kingdom general election is due to take place on or before 3 June 2010, barring exceptional circumstances.

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              1) There is talk that the paraphilia indulging, pant-pissing snot goblin will go and see the other queen on Thursday.
              Interesting.

If he does that then potentially the election could be from 22nd April onwards. An election on 6th May could be announced this week but that would make the campaign two weeks longer than necessary and I didn't think Labour could afford to drag it out.

EDIT: BBC coverage of the last election is here http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ifs_news/h...05/default.stm
              Last edited by Gonzo; 23 March 2010, 08:51. Reason: Forgot to add the BBC link

Comment

1)It can't be more than a handful of weeks before an election has to be held, but has the date actually been announced yet? I haven't heard it mentioned on the news either as a main story or in passing, has it been called and I missed it?
                Not yet.

2)My constituency in the North East is a strong Labour seat, as far as I'm aware. I think that means I have to play it tactically if I want to get Labour out. Where can I get historical election result data by UK constituency to help me see the facts?
                Wikipedia - search for your MP and then link to the consituency.

This election could be my first where my vote counts - every other election since I could vote I lived in either a safe labour or tory seat. This election could be the first time Labour lose the seat in 100 years (I think - it's certainly 100 years since they elected a Tory, but don't know whether Liberals have ever won there).
                If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                  Wikipedia - search for your MP and then link to the constituency.
                  As if I know who my MP is

Comment

As if I know who my MP is
                    Well search for the consituency / town / city / area - there will be a link to the parliamentary constituency which then gives you the breakdown of past result.

Even if there has been a boundary change, I believe.
                    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X