• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solving a problem that doesn't exist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solving a problem that doesn't exist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8569351.stm

Fertilising the oceans with iron to absorb carbon dioxide could increase concentrations of a chemical that can kill marine mammals, a study has found.

Iron stimulates growth of marine algae that absorb CO2 from the air, and has been touted as a "climate fix".

Now researchers have shown that the algae increase production of a nerve poison that can kill mammals and birds.

Writing in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, they say this raises "serious concern" over the idea.

Yes, lets pump the World's oceans and seas with a chemical cocktail to undo the effects of something unproven and based on dodgy data and kill marine life as we know it.

Ah, but too much CO2 dissolved in the water makes the sea acidic, which also kills marine life.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8569351.stm

Yes, lets pump the World's oceans and seas with a chemical cocktail to undo the effects of something unproven and based on dodgy data and kill marine life as we know it.

I don't think your IQ is up to debating this issue.
      Stick to crappy web dev at £500 per week.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I don't think your IQ is up to debating this issue.
        Stick to crappy web dev at £500 per week.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I have a funny feeling if we leave the earth to itself it will reach a perfectly acceptable euilibrium - is this to do with the GAIA theory???

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I have a funny feeling if we leave the earth to itself it will reach a perfectly acceptable euilibrium - is this to do with the GAIA theory???
            Or an ice age ...

Comment

That's what the Dinosaurs thought.

Nope, to survive we need to pump the oceans with chemicals, chop down all the rain forests and grow biofuels, and launch giant mirrors into space to reflect the evil Sun's rays from our planet.

It's the only way.

Comment

well thats me well and truly corrected then.......

Comment

Well the AGW theorists base their models on the principle that the planet is a complex system.

GAIAN theorists base their models on the principle that the planet is a complex reactive system. Like your body. The planet is a living organism.

The EO theorists base their model on the principle that the planet is like a huge fridge, full of beer and a cold roast pork joint, left over from Sunday.

munch munch

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

think I am rapidly becoming a fan of EO theory on that basis then.

will the coming ice age keep the beer cold if the fridge fails though?

Comment

Working...
                    X