• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you had a piece of IT work that needed doing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had a piece of IT work that needed doing...

...would you hire a permie at great expense and hassle in the UK, hire a contractor at great expense or sub it out overseas for plenty cheapness?

And even ignoring cost, think of the red tape hiring in the UK versus having the work done overseas.

No brainer really.

As a very small company, I don't yet understand the process of hiring someone as an employee, but I'd like to one day.

For work that can be parcelled up, finding freelancers in the USA is easier than all the worries of IR35. And if you work 1-2-1 with developers, as a technical lead, people in Asia and Eastern Europe can be ok too... but I don't know my system would scale to a large project using 20-100 developers, it relies on me working personally with each developer which probably puts an upper limit of about 10 before 100% of my time is spent managing and I run out of time to do anything technical myself.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      ...would you hire a permie at great expense and hassle in the UK, hire a contractor at great expense or sub it out overseas for plenty cheapness?

And even ignoring cost, think of the red tape hiring in the UK versus having the work done overseas.

No brainer really.
      I'd specify the task properly and then find someone / company / thing who could do it for a fixed price and who had approachable references.

Bob or Rentacoder could end up doing it if I was confident they could deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
        I'd specify the task properly and then find someone / company / thing who could do it for a fixed price and who had approachable references.

Bob or Rentacoder could end up doing it if I was confident they could deliver.
        I've put work on here when I've needed to sub something. Been quite happy with results actually...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I've put work on here when I've needed to sub something. Been quite happy with results actually...
          Yep. There’s a freelancers site in Holland I’ve used for getting little bits of work done. Haven’t used the Bobs outside of where clientco has demanded it as I don’t want to specify everything down to the level of every function and variable; may as well code it myself if I do that. I need people who can think along with me to solve a problem, not people who need constant management and low level spec.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

No brainer really.
            Indeed. That's why you should hire me. Except for the "plenty cheapness", of course.

With some companies I worked with, offshoring has worked well, because they've limited it. Where companies have offshored 90% of their IT, it's a total mess - complete lack of control over quality, and it takes forever to get the simplest things done. Handing over control of your IT to a third party, is the company equivalence of having an over-enthusiastic lobotomy... i.e. a real no-brainer.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Handing over control of your IT to a third party, is the company equivalence of having an over-enthusiastic lobotomy...
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I don’t want to specify everything down to the level of every function and variable; may as well code it myself if I do that.
                #1 reason clientco got shot of HCL (who are a bunch on money grabbing muppets - allegedly).
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No brainer really.
                  I've employed UK permie, USA permie, and off shored to India.

I will never again employ USA permie or off shore to India. I have no problem hiring UK permie. If you get the right person, with the right mindset it's fine. And getting rid of people in the UK is pretty easy.

If the business is going well in UK, it is a no brainer. Permie every time. If the outlook for long term viability isn't ... then contractor.

Comment

Working...
                  X