• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about carbon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about carbon

If you grow trees they absorb CO2 from the atmosphere.

If you chop the trees down and burn them, you are left with soot.

How much of the Carbon absorbed is released on burning the trees if you capture all the soot left over?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

How much of the Carbon absorbed is released on burning the trees if you capture all the soot left over?
    Cretin

HTH

sasguru
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Work it out. What exactly are you burning?

Comment

Is this an African or European tree?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

That depends on the fuel / air mixture and the efficiency of the combustion process. This would all be related to the relative Ash%, Carbon% of the input fuel and the efficiency of the burn, measured as a resultant Carbon in Ash content, i.e. the unburnt carbon. The remaining carbon is emitted as CO2. I can provide detailed formulas if you need but I suspect your trolling ....
          Beer
          is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm burning my old Bonsai and I was worried about my Carbon footprint.

Perhaps I'd be better off jumping into my 5.7L V8 and dropping it off at the recycling centre.

Comment

The amount of carbon isn't changed by growing and burning. It's either left unburnt (probably combined with some other element such as hydrogen) in the soot or combined with something like oxygen in the air and wafted away.

Comment

Not scientific but…

Numpty relative planted some Willow trees in a small garden. At the time of planting, the garden was about two inches below the path. Fifteen years later came back to cut the trees (now about 30 feet high). The foliage hand built up the top soil to well over an extra four inches covering the path. What ever is burned and leftover carbon is far less than the tree has absorbed during its life.

Using a woodburner at home, there is only a minimal amount of white ash left over and nil soot because dry wood is burnt at high temperature.

Trees are good at absorbing CO2, England has lost 10% its trees in twenty years under government building policy.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X