• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hackery-scammery get you own back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hackery-scammery get you own back?

I've been warned about a new scam whereby some non British sounding person calls you on your phone and says that they are from Microsoft (or computercentre) and asks you to run the Windows Event Viewer on you pc.

The idea is to get you to look at the Windows Event Viewer which is a glorified log. The trouble is that Windows puts nice big warning symbols next to even trivial errors in the log so the scammer then tries to convince you that these things need "fixing" and to download and install the bug fixes from their website.

No surprises when they will also then tell you to turn off any virus checking software as you install their malicious code!

So

can I do/run something to 'disrupt' these people???

Mwuhaha

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    can I do/run something to 'disrupt' these people???
    Mwuhaha
    Tell them you have a Mac.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

superb! Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        Tell them you have a Mac.
        Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
        superb! Brilliant!

Eventually, sort of.

What you want to do is go along with everything they say, including getting them to try and talk you through opening the event log, make them talk you thorugh starting computer up if you can. Play dumb. Very dumb. Keep them going as long as possible before telling them that "someone else bought the computer for you" and "does it matter if it's one of those posh apple ones?"

If your lucky you'll hear the scream before they put the phone down
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Any non British sounding person rings me and I slam the phone down.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Have you guys seen http://www.419eater.com ?

HILARIOUS...I spent hours on there reading the emails/letters/pictures.

People reply to the "I'm the king of Nigeria and I want to give you my money" emails...and then make them take pictures of themselves doing stupid stuff.. really good!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              If anybody phones me and I dont know them I slam the phone down!

The funniest is when someone phones you from a Utility styley company to offer you something, knowing your name & details and then says 'Before we continue I need you to go through some security questions'

"Yeah right Dumb ass, you phoned me, you tell me and I'll confirm then'
              "Sorry cannot do that Data Protection Act"
              "Ditto - Bye bye"

Fools.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Which really annoys your Russian wife and all her relatives.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Jeez, you ARE radical!

Comment

Working...
                  X