• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fraud attempt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fraud attempt

Got a call from credit card company 'A' the other week. Asked me if I had ordered a new card and PIN. No I said, not me. Must be a fraud attempt they say. Current card gets cancelled and a new replacement issued.

A week later, I get a letter from credit card company 'B' telling me that my new card is on its way as arranged, as is the new PIN. I phone them and explain that I have not ordered a new card. If a new card has been ordered, it must be afraud attempt. (Imagine how difficult it was to have that conversation with a off-shore call centre drone, and to get them to understand the concept of 'it wasn't me'.) New card ordered.

I get a bit proactive and check with bank. No problems there. Check with credit card company 'C' - no problems there but cancel card just in case.

All seems fine until Saturday last when 50 pieces of mail are delivered at once, and I can't open the front door to get in! First thoughts are that the postie - who I know btw - is having a bit of a laugh. This is not the case as one of the letters is from Royal Mail acknowledging my Keepsafe request. Keepsafe is where RM keep your mail safe (oh yes) for a period determined by you as the purchaser of the service. They then deliver it all at the end of the period. Also in this pile of envlopes is one from Experian acknowledging me signing up to their credit report service. It wasn't me (again).

I contact Royal Mail and tell them that it wasn't me and also that despite my name being spelled incorrectly they witheld my mail, and despite the person who asked for the keepsafe guessing at my wife's name and getting it wrong, they witheld hers too.

The process has been - as far as I can make out - and this has been relatively successful, is to pick someone at random, buy their credit report using a stolen credit card, use the credit report to identify where credit cards are currently active and which companies provide them, pay Royal Mail to hold the mail so that I don't get the notifications through the post until it is too late (also using stolen cards), contact card companies and ask for new cards to be issued. The plan is then to intercept the new cards, which is the incomplete bit in my case. The way that this could be done is to buy online from Royal Mail a redirect service using a stolen card. Bingo, all mail redirected to new address.

Easy isn't it.

Anyone any thoughts? Any similar experiences?

It's called Identity theft and only happens if you are irresponsible IMO.

Did you make sure you put all your unwanted documents into the shredder ?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

No point in shredding docs if you get taken by a bank insider.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Similar happened to to me and it was the postie who had instigated it
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Get your name on the CIFAS register for individuals. (Google it.)
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

this is not related to documentation or papers not shredded, this is all done from in front of a computer. Find a name at random and using all the resources available on the net and a credit card and away you go.

Create a free account with experian and look at your credit report. They are incredibly detailed these days and contain a phenomenal amount of detail

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
              this is not related to documentation or papers not shredded, this is all done from in front of a computer. Find a name at random and using all the resources available on the net and a credit card and away you go.

Create a free account with experian and look at your credit report. They are incredibly detailed these days and contain a phenomenal amount of detail
              So if they want they can target any random citizen ?

If they want to steal the identity of Gordon Brown , for example, they can easily do this from in front of a computer ??
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

So if they want they can target any random citizen ?

If they want to steal the identity of Gordon Brown , for example, they can easily do this from in front of a computer ??
                It is pathetically easy, I used to work for the fraud squad and they just cannot deal with even a small percentage of the fraud going on.

One of the reasons I am strongly in favour of ID cards.

Comment

Happened to me a while back

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...identity+theft

PM me if you like. It's been a nightmare
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    It is pathetically easy, I used to work for the fraud squad and they just cannot deal with even a small percentage of the fraud going on.

One of the reasons I am strongly in favour of ID cards.
                    How will ID cards help the banks stop fraudulent postal card applications?

Comment

Working...
                    X