• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Youthful expectations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youthful expectations

An old school friend just put up a photo on facebook from a school trip taken when I was about 10 or so.

Apart from the shock of seeing kids I grew up with (And me) at that age, I was kinda shocked to think about what the 4 boys in the photo are all doing now: The tearway young baddun is now a partner in a law firm, the wee weedy kid is now a black belt in karate, the good look coolest kid in school became a heroin addict, came out of it and now is a rehab worker, and me who never went a holiday until I was 17 who's spent the last 20 years being a global gypsy.

Weird how you can look back and think I bet you absolutely none of us in that photo expected anything like that in our lives.

Just freeflowing down memory lane, no real point to make.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

I used to look at the adverts in the back of 'Wireless World' and dream of what it might be like to work in those places. Contracting has allowed me to work all those places, and more.

Kids used to call me 'the prof' at school, and here I am now, some post doc research, bit of part time lecturing, get invited to do guest lectures and attend graduation ceremonies as far away as Japan (with 1st class air travel, top hotel, the works, thrown in).

Never thought I'd live this long though.

Which is nice.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      .. Kids used to call me 'the prof' at school, and here I am now, some post doc research, bit of part time lecturing, get invited to do guest lectures and attend graduation ceremonies as far away as Japan (with 1st class air travel, top hotel, the works, thrown in).

Never thought I'd live this long though. ..
      Do you speak through a voice synthesiser, and get around in an electric wheelchair?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I used to look at the adverts in the back of 'Wireless World' and dream of what it might be like to work in those places. Contracting has allowed me to work all those places, and more.

Kids used to call me 'the Mekon' at school, and here I am now, some post doc research, bit of part time lecturing, get invited to do guest lectures and attend graduation ceremonies as far away as Japan (with 1st class air travel, top hotel, the works, thrown in).

Never thought I'd live this long though.

Which is nice.
        Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Do you speak through a voice synthesiser, and get around a hovering electric chair?
        Have you two met?

Comment

Kids used to call me 'the prof' at school, ....
          I think you mis-heard or the kids were having a joke; that 'r' is an 'o'.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Oi Admin!!! Isn't the above classified as "grooming"?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              No, that was a couple a bit further up the dorm.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

School reunion

A few years ago I went to a school reunion after some 20-25 years and that was very interesting.

2 quiet guys from back then pierced up to the eyeballs.

Coppers, Bank Managers, Factory workers, Housewives, Nurses a real mixed bag.

People flew in from Oz, Canada, Misc European countries.

Some still single, married, divorced, some re-married, some re-divorced.

My headmaster asked me who I was, as I am a bit rounder now than i was then.

My P.E. teacher was there, funny how hatred doesn't always fade over time, he was a bar-steward to anyone who didn't have Olympic potential.

Couple of ex girlfriends, Phew, lucky escape, although one was still quite fine.

The one person who stood out in my mind was this pretty stick insect back then, who has 4 kids and really shows it!!

Then we all went to the underage football club disco to join the 16/17 year olds, that we used to frequent back in the day, really fun evening. If you get a chance to attend a reunion, Do it!
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Funnily I got an email yesterday via Friends Reunited from an ex-girlfriend from school when I was 14/15. She's just got divorced and wondering what I was up to and wanted to meet up!!!

I'm obviously still a good looking bloke with loads of charisma & personality but I wonder how she could garner all of that from one email with no photos
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

We had this one kid at school, the class snide. We all agreed on Friends reunited that we still want to beat him up. So we got one of the girlies to email him with some old nonsense, and now we will do the bastid good and proper. He was the only dick in the class who liked Marillion as well. loser

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X