• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Instant Messaging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Messaging

Last company I was at was really big into IM Worldwide around the business.

A number had AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, so it was difficult to decide what to have.

Eventually the IT dept deployed Pidgin IM, but because it had been deployed by the IT department no-one was sure if it was secure.

Who uses IM, and is Pidgin the best one to use to wrap all of the above together or is there something better.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Last company I was at was really big into IM Worldwide around the business.

A number had AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, so it was difficult to decide what to have.

Eventually the IT dept deployed Pidgin IM, but because it had been deployed by the IT department no-one was sure if it was secure.

Who uses IM, and is Pidgin the best one to use to wrap all of the above together or is there something better.
    I fink its da biz.

I use it on a daily basis with some of my clients where it is allowed. I've never looked too deep into using anything else apart from the MS product
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

We tend to use skype for IM here.

Some of us have Cisco softphone installed which does IM too, but there's not enough take up yet so Skype is the default choice.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

When I was at Barclays in Knutsford, over ten years ago, I was on a floor with about 400 dudes, only a dozen of whom were blokes.

I was sat next to the most gorgeous fragrant, nice, perfectly formed 25 year old bird. She was a stunner.
        She was charmed by a rugby type guy, who sat four rows away, who whammed her with the full whirlwind romantic stuff, and they used to disappear at lunch time coming back looking a little flushed around the gills. Everyone was made up for them.

Of course, sitting next to her, sometimes I got to see the ims flying, which was quite entertaining.

Anyways, one of the network support guys was a well known rampant bum-boy, and his name and initial was one character away from the ladies. So one morning, the network guy gets a message by mistake, the rugger type has promised to take him behind the tennis courts, rip his nicks off and work it up where the sun dont shine till he begs for mercy.

Rugger type keeps looking over at girly, she shrugs back, he's puzzled , why isnt she agreeing???

so in the end he saunters over and they have a little chinwag, everything gets sorted.
        Then the network guy appears behind my chair, out of breath, face bright pink, gushing in some sort of pre orgasmic hot flush, he squeals
        'of course I will be there, I just didnt know. ooh I just didnt know you cared. oh my God, im going to faint. I am soooo happy'

He was lucky to get out alive

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yep, IM has been big where I've used it, very useful where offices are dispersed.

Pidgin is a good collater but most end to gravitate around MSN and skype, so I just keep them open.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

MSN and Skype (sometimes).
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Only ever Skype.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

BlackBerry Messenger

Comment

As an addition to EO's story. Do you remember the first 'email viral gone wrong' story that came out about ten years ago. http://www.snopes.com/risque/tattled/swire.asp

I went backpacking around Asia just roundabout when the story broke, and for anyone who has ever backpacked on your own, you have to go out of your way to talk/meet people.

Anyway, one of my questions to people I had just met(I suppose this would work quite well for a date as well) was 'Whats the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?'

I was on a plane sat next to a stunning girl, when we got talking and I asked her. She then went through the story above to which I then gasped 'Oh my god, was that you?' and the reply was 'No. It wasn't. But that bloke was my boyfriend the fking wnker and that girl is a fcking slag!!!! So I'm leaving until it dies down!!!!!'

Ooops!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Lotus Sametime, Globally here.

Although I hear there is a move to some MS based product, Communicator?

Internal only AFAIK.

MSN, Skype, Facebook at home.

Can't read your link MF, obviously NSFW as far as web security is concerned here.
                    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 24 March 2010, 10:35.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X