• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Experts'. Send them to Room 101

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Experts'. Send them to Room 101

Why are we always told by the ‘meejah’ that an unnamed ‘expert’ or some unnamed ‘experts’ say so and so? ‘Experts say women have implanted bombs in their tits to blow up aeroplanes’. ‘Experts say there’ll be lots of changes in the budget’ etc.

Who the **** are these ‘experts’? What makes them so bloody ‘expert’? Why are they rarely named, and why are we not told their credentials? Why are we not given the evidence to back up the claims of ‘experts’ so we can view it critically and judge the merits of their claims on empirical and experimental grounds?

Is it because every time the meejah say ‘experts say…’ they’re actually just bulltulipting, they’ve made up the story in the pub and want to get back to the pub to make up another story over a few more pints, so they can sell their crap ‘news’papers and pontificate about the world rather like cab drivers and teenagers who seem to know everything about everything?

I am a skeptic. I do not simply believe the opinion of ‘experts’, so if you want to convince me of some outlandish claim, I want evidence to back up a hypothesis, not some jumped up self appointed know-all telling me he knows better.

Hmmmppphh, glad I got that off my chest.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Always ask the question "Why?"

I find it gathers some interesting answers..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Always ask the question "Why?"

I find it gathers some interesting answers..
      I’m considering doing a Room 101 style rant about ‘celebrities’ seeing as they’re bloody irritating and pointless too.

Comment

Oh. Sorry.

I'll let you get on with it then.

<clears chairs and tables to give mich a run-up>
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I disagree - putting them on a TV show with Paul Merton is a really bad idea. Giving them the oxygen of publicity and all that.
          If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Usually the thinking behind this is
            Shepherd= "Expert"

Lambs= the naive public

No such thing as an expert, it's just someone that gives the impression of knowing more that you do, a bit like DP
            Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I’m considering doing a Room 101 style rant about ‘celebrities’ seeing as they’re bloody irritating and pointless too.
              Please do. How about telling us about any celebrity daffodils that you have had personal experience of. Mine's Bill Oddie, I once stepped on his foot in a pub I was working in & he turned the air blue with the abuse he threw at me. Similarly Dickie Attenborough when I nicked his parking space at Shepperton Studios.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                Please do. How about telling us about any celebrity daffodils that you have had personal experience of. Mine's Bill Oddie, I once stepped on his foot in a pub I was working in & he turned the air blue with the abuse he threw at me. Similarly Dickie Attenborough when I nicked his parking space at Shepperton Studios.
                Done. Feel free to nominate your least favourite celebriuty twunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Done. Feel free to nominate your least favourite celebriuty twunts.
                  Can I start with David Beckham please?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Can I start with David Beckham please?
                    Of course, thread's ready and waiting.

Comment

Working...
                    X