• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kennedy resigns ... but so what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kennedy resigns ... but so what?

It is a sad situation for Kennedy personally, but will it make any difference to anyone in the country? Who cares?

The Lib Dem leadership issue is like bald men fighting over a comb.

Originally posted by wendigo100
    It is a sad situation for Kennedy personally, but will it make any difference to anyone in the country? Who cares?

The Lib Dem leadership issue is like bald men fighting over a comb.
    One thing it does say about politicians is that dispite all their preaching about thou shalt not prejudice against anyone on basis of race, religion, disability/illness etc etc that the same rules do not apply to them. To get rid of someone because he is an alcoholic when it does not effect his job is the equivalent of sacking someone because he is black or disabled. Kennedy was doing his job Ok as the Lib Dems are in much better shape than when he took over.

Comment

He only won 4 (or so) extra MPs in the last election - how can this be great achievement? She should have resigned just like Howard did.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
        One thing it does say about politicians is that dispite all their preaching about thou shalt not prejudice against anyone on basis of race, religion, disability/illness etc etc that the same rules do not apply to them. To get rid of someone because he is an alcoholic when it does not effect his job is the equivalent of sacking someone because he is black or disabled. Kennedy was doing his job Ok as the Lib Dems are in much better shape than when he took over.
        I'm not sure how effective he was.

They have a lot more MPs than before he took over, but isn't that partly because the Tories were a rabble, and partly because of their stance on Iraq? They (Libs / Soc Dems) had a lot of seats in the eighties when Labour were a rabble.

Comment

Whether he was effective or not it didn't influence their decision to get rid of him. Their decision was purely based on the fact that he was different to them ie he had an illness - if this was done in the commercial world it would come under constructive dismissal. I just think it is hypocritical for politicians to preach on e thing to the electorate and behave the opposite way for their own needs.

Anyone seen my bottle?

Comment

Politicians should apply much higher standard to themselves - I think the mere fact of the leader lieing many times about his alchogolism should be enough for removal from his job.

Say, if you were an alchogolic and you lied on your job interview and then your job was affected by it, then what do you think will happen with you? Of course you get fired!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Politicians should apply much higher standard to themselves
              So a politician is not allowed to have an illness.

Originally posted by AtW
              - I think the mere fact of the leader lieing many times about his alchogolism should be enough for removal from his job.

Say, if you were an alchogolic and you lied on your job interview and then your job was affected by it, then what do you think will happen with you? Of course you get fired!
              The politicians have put in place anti-discrimination laws to prevent that type of question. I think by the way Kennedy has been crucified by it shows he was right to lie about it as almost everyone would discriminate against him and has. Their is still no sign to say Kennedy's job was effected by it just that people did not like him because of it.

Comment

So a politician is not allowed to have an illness.
                They should not be allowed to stay in job while they are so seriously ill - its way too important job to be given to somebody who can't control desire to get drunk. This sort of crap is only possible in authoritarian non-democratic states like Russia - Eltsin was getting seriously drunk but that's why his mates like him for - while he was drunk they could rule the country.

Their is still no sign to say Kennedy's job was effected by it just that people did not like him because of it.
                Do you want drug addicts to be in powerful positions? The standard should be much higher for public politicians - nobody forces them to take that job, just like nobody will accept an alcoholic into MI5.

From what I could see Kennedy actually was drunk while attending serious public events - this means that his illness affected this job.
                Last edited by AtW; 7 January 2006, 18:25.

Comment

I was no great fan of the ginger tosser's policies or the way he always knocked the Tories and never the govenment. That is not the function of an opposition party, at least for those of naive enough to believe that the main function of an opposition party should be to oppose bad legislation rather than simply further its own interests.

Still, I think he was fairly popular, and a political leader is an asset if most people don't actually loath them. They have nobody better of a suitable age.

The new Tory leader is another Blair, a slick, vague, rambling, wishy washy, "fair" society, "caring", emotional thinking, presentational, no substance, pro immigration, anti choice, wealth distributing, incentive destroying, total fecking dipstick. It should have been Davis.

For the first time ever in my life, I shall probably not bother to vote at the next election.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Whether he was effective or not it didn't influence their decision to get rid of him. Their decision was purely based on the fact that he was different to them ie he had an illness - if this was done in the commercial world it would come under constructive dismissal. I just think it is hypocritical for politicians to preach on e thing to the electorate and behave the opposite way for their own needs.

Anyone seen my bottle?
                    His illness my friend is entirely self induced. He does not have cancer for example - and you my friend are trying to put alcoholism on the same level as those who suffer from illness through no fault of their own.
                    as I have said before these people take our money forcibly because they think that they can spend it better than us. Part of the way that they manipulate us into handing our taxes over is by making us feel guilty about the poorer sections of our society (who they pretend to represent).
                    So they tell us that they are going to spend part of our money on solving the social problems of society and providing us all with healthcare.
                    Given that a great many social problems that we face are either fuelled by alcohol or result in alcohol abuse how on earth can a politician detach his personal problems from a job that claims to be dealing with moral and social issues in society.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X