• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Selling Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Selling Question

Hoping someone can provide a light bulb moment for me...my brand new car is due for delivery in 2 weeks time.

I had decided not to px my current car but sell privately when I ordered the new one. However being a Renault Scenic and looking on Autotrader, there are a lot of equivalents for sale, mainly through dealers who can provide warranty, pre-service, credit card payment terms etc.

I am having the car MOTd next week and next service is in ~12k miles time, so don't want to have a service. Without droping the price too much, I can I get interest in my Scenic as opposed to the dealer models ?

Any ideas welcome please

The only advantage you have selling privately normally is on price. People, myself included, don't like paying dealer prices and don't trust them as far as I can spit, particularly with the news this week about people having lots of problmes with dealers cars.

Have a look at an equivalent car trade and private and post the prices.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd guess advertise about 15% less than dealer.
      Then be prepared to haggle.

As above...you should be able to gauge private asking prices from websites like autotrader though a 12K miles it's presumably a young car and majority will be on offer through dealers as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
        I'd guess advertise about 15% less than dealer.
        Then be prepared to haggle.

As above...you should be able to gauge private asking prices from websites like autotrader though a 12K miles it's presumably a young car and majority will be on offer through dealers as a result.
        I think he meant the service is in around 12k miles....didn't he??
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Yup..........Ich bin trinken mmmmmmmmm Helles

Comment

Originally Posted by northernladuk
            Originally posted by Olly View Post
            Yup..........Ich bin trinken mmmmmmmmm Helles
            Correct, but thanks anyway !

Comment

What is the trade price for the car? advertise it for a bit more just so it makes it worth your while.
              I find sellings cars a PITA. I had a rare car last year that I was trying to sell. Dealer offered 15000 trade in so I advertised it at 16000 privately and it didn't sell and attracted lots of timewasters - some trying to offer less than what the dealer offered. When I told one of them that they were offering £800 less than what the dealer offered they said something along the lines of "yeah, but at least you won't be handing it over to a dealer to make money on".

These days everyone wants a bargain

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                These days everyone wants to shaft you
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Try WeBuyAnyCar.com You may be pleasantly surprised, but beware they have a cheeky habit of knocking a few £££ when they see it in the flesh.

To be honest I would just ask some local dealers what they will give you. Their prices maybe a bit crap but you/your car won't get stolen/mugged/scammed/crashed/time wasted.

Sell it this weekend and you'll have cleared funds for this year's ISA allowance. And the tax savings will make soon up for the poor price.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    Try WeBuyAnyCar.com You may be pleasantly surprised, but beware they have a cheeky habit of knocking a few £££ when they see it in the flesh.

I wondered about this - if the man/woman from webuyanycar has actually turned up, it will presumably cost them money to leave empty handed so surely you could say you want the price quoted or the deal's off - you have little to lose surely?

Comment

Working...
                    X