• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smoke gets in your eyes and Nu Labour gets up my nose

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke gets in your eyes and Nu Labour gets up my nose

They can't be serious? Banning smoking in ALL cars?

link

I'd take it up again if they ever bring that in just to spite the bastards.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    They can't be serious? Banning smoking in ALL cars?

link

I'd take it up again if they ever bring that in just to spite the bastards.
    There is no limit to the lengths that the government wish to go to to control people's lives.

When is the government going to introduce this? Oh, they are not. Some mad doctor has suggested it, that is as far as it has got.

EDIT: I will quote two sections of the article

The proposals, which have won the backing of Sir Liam Donaldson, the Government’s Chief Medical Officer, are outlined in a report showing the impact of passive smoking on children’s health.
    Sir Liam Donaldson said: "The report is a very valuable addition to the evidence base which will be considered as part of the Department of Health's review of the existing smokefree legislation in England three years after it came into force, to be carried out later this year.”
    I don't think there is any need for smokers to panic just yet.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 25 March 2010, 04:05.

Comment

Umm... as the story clearly states - in the sub-head, no less - and as was clearly stated when it appeared on the BBC News website before the Torygraph picked it up, this proposal comes from the Royal College of Physicians. To the best of my knowledge that is an advocacy group that seeks to influence Government policy, not a Government department that implements policy.

They will continue to try to bully the Government into implementing this policy even if the Tories win the election. Given that Cameron is desperate for something that makes him seem to have substance in the eyes of the electorate, he's more likely to jump on this bandwagon than the current Government are.
      Last edited by NickFitz; 25 March 2010, 04:28.

Comment

Assuming we agree that being forced to breath others' smoke is a health risk, then I don't see a problem banning smoking in a car while a minor is present, especially since cars aren't that well ventilated.

A ban 'unless everyone else in the car is over 18 and doesn't mind" might seem most reasonable, but harder to enforce and legalise I imagine.

A blanket ban seems silly, though personally speaking I'm quite happy not to ever go in a smoker's car again, my dad used to smoke in his car when I was young and it made me literally retch when we had to get in, I had to fill my gob with Xtra strong mints before opening the door.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The throwing of tabs out of car windows should be seriously jumped on. They cause lots of fires in the countryside.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Umm... as the story clearly states - in the sub-head, no less - and as was clearly stated when it appeared on the BBC News website before the Torygraph picked it up, this proposal comes from the Royal College of Physicians. To the best of my knowledge that is an advocacy group that seeks to influence Government policy, not a Government department that implements policy.

They will continue to try to bully the Government into implementing this policy even if the Tories win the election. Given that Cameron is desperate for something that makes him seem to have substance in the eyes of the electorate, he's more likely to jump on this bandwagon than the current Government are.
            Yes, but it has the backing of Liam Donaldson who is a Nu Labour placeman. Presumably he'll eventually be replaced with somebody a little less hysterical if someone else gets in.

Comment

what right do the government have to tell me what to do in my car?

and more to the point at which point did we agree that we wanted our taxes spending on this sort of rubbish.

the sooner winky mcflipnut and his band of pointless petty minded theives disapaear back under the rock the crawled from the better.....

imho

Comment

The whole idea is typical of this Command and Control style of government. There are some things related to smoking in cars that people shouldn't do, but that's too hard to police, so we'll just make it completely illegal since that's easier to control.

If I wanted every little detail of my personal life subject to scrutiny and control, I'd get back with my ex.

Comment

People who smoke in cars stink, their cars stink as well.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    People who smoke in cars stink, their cars stink as well.
                    On the one hand, that observation. On the other hand, a criminal law against smoking in a car.

Can someone please point me to the justifiable link between the two?

Comment

Working...
                    X