• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warmongering idiots who read The Times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warmongering idiots who read The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7074891.ece

Now then, something seems to have gone wrong with The Times. It used to be a quality newspaper whose readers could be relied upon to be erudite and reasoned in their correspondence.

But here we see a non-story about Russian airforce jets testing out British defences, and lots of respondents saying ‘shoot them down!’ The ignorance. Anyone who ever visited a forces careers centre and took an interest in the RAF knows that this has been going on for donkey’s years and that neither side is likely to be stupid enough to actually shoot at each other, given the prospect of complete mutual destruction.

So along come Uri and Sergey, just testing out the Brits’ deep extra covers, in the full knowledge that no-one else in Europe’s going to stop them, and some bunch of little Englanders think they should be shot down?

Is it really surprising that Britain finds itself bogged down in two overseas wars while such idiots are able to vote warmongering loons into power?

Is there no refuge among the 'meejah' for a rational, peaceful sporting gentleman who wishes our Russian visitors no harm other than a sturdy 'off you go then chaps; you wouldn't want me bowling a bodyliner' from Wing Commander Wiggles?
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 25 March 2010, 11:45.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I seen the map of the flight path in the Scotsman this morning and it was quite a bit more than "a non-story about Russian airforce jets testing out British defences".

They were flying over UK land.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I seen the map of the flight path in the Scotsman this morning and it was quite a bit more than "a non-story about Russian airforce jets testing out British defences".

They were flying over UK land.
      Not the first time, and it means they've flown over a lot more land before getting to the UK. Perhaps the problem here is not the Russians, who are simply doing their job, but the various other European countries who didn't seem to issue a warning or perhaps didn't even see them.

Comment

scotsman story

Comment

As I might have said before (this story comes up every 6 months or so) stopping these aircraft at UK airspace is a waste of time - their long range cruise armament has a range of c3000km. More than enough to hit every major city in the UK from outside the UK airspace.

Most of the bluster comes from idiots. Unfortunately, there is no law to stop idiots from voting (although I expect Labour have thought about it).
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Not the first time, and it means they've flown over a lot more land before getting to the UK.
            We would have been the first land they had hit since leaving Russia.

A hostile nation flying over UK soil with presumably a couple of nukes on board?

I'm sorry, I would have had the plane shot down. kfc them and their squirrels.

Comment

I'm a warmongerer to the extent that I really quite like war and when there's not a decent one going on I get a bit bored (like most normal people I guess). If I can't sleep at night I close my eyes and imagine that I'm in the trenches during World War 1, hunkering down against the oppositions artillery fire, and I soon drift off into happy dreams. Whilst I wouldn't advocate shooting down any Russian warplanes, I would go for a long period of trench warfare against them, maybe somewhere like the Ukraine or Moldova (but it wouldn't have to be there, anywhere really would be ok). Obviously I wouldn't want to do any actual fighting myself, but I bet there would be some excellent pictures and these days maybe even some tv footage!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                As I might have said before (this story comes up every 6 months or so) stopping these aircraft at UK airspace is a waste of time - their long range cruise armament has a range of c3000km. More than enough to hit every major city in the UK from outside the UK airspace.

Most of the bluster comes from idiots. Unfortunately, there is no law to stop idiots from voting (although I expect Labour have thought about it).
                Thankyou sir. They could get a run-out with a long, low, fast throw from the deep extra cover boundary, but instead they’re just gently bringing the ball back to their spin bowler to save his fingers. Nothing for England’s batsmen to fear, and certainly no reason to start clobbering the wicketkeeper with a stump.

Comment

Bloody typical, you Scots want our help when Ivan comes calling, eh?

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7074891.ece

Now then, something seems to have gone wrong with The Times. It used to be a quality newspaper whose readers could be relied upon to be erudite and reasoned in their correspondence.

But here we see a non-story about Russian airforce jets testing out British defences, and lots of respondents saying ‘shoot them down!’ The ignorance. Anyone who ever visited a forces careers centre and took an interest in the RAF knows that this has been going on for donkey’s years and that neither side is likely to be stupid enough to actually shoot at each other, given the prospect of complete mutual destruction.

So along come Uri and Sergey, just testing out the Brits’ deep extra covers, in the full knowledge that no-one else in Europe’s going to stop them, and some bunch of little Englanders think they should be shot down?

Is it really surprising that Britain finds itself bogged down in two overseas wars while such idiots are able to vote warmongering loons into power?

Is there no refuge among the 'meejah' for a rational, peaceful sporting gentleman who wishes our Russian visitors no harm other than a sturdy 'off you go then chaps; you wouldn't want me bowling a bodyliner' from Wing Commander Wiggles?
                    I'm sure you realise that, if you give people the ability to post on the internet, the end result is generally shite of the highest order...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X