• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie to Cotract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie to Cotract

Hello,

I have been a permie for many years and would like to test the contract world. Since i have a notice period with my current employer, no one is ready to wait that long for starting a contract, mostly consultants dont prefer to send my resume if they have options. I am not having that rare skills for them to wait for that as well.

How do i get around this situation. Resigning and then trying does not seem to be very good idea in this market though it is getting better?..

Thanks in advance !

Mallu - moved to this forum (where you're more likely to get constructive feedback).

Comment

Originally posted by mallu View Post
      How do i get around this situation. Resigning and then trying does not seem to be very good idea in this market though it is getting better?..
      Lie.
      Ignore your notice period
      fake your own death
      Get new contract and grope the first fit receptionist you can find at your workplace = no notice period required.

Comment

Hello,

I have been a permie for many years and would like to test the contract world. Since i have a notice period with my current employer, no one is ready to wait that long for starting a contract, mostly consultants dont prefer to send my resume if they have options. I am not having that rare skills for them to wait for that as well.

Thanks in advance !
        Firstly, secure a contract, lie to the agent about your notice period (1 or 2 week notice period) if you must. Once you have secured the contract, speak to your employer and tell them your situation and that you have a desire to move on. If you are honest with your employers, they will more likely respect you and let you leave early. You may never be able to work for them again though, especially if you leave at short notice, but you never know.

Ideally, you should wait until you have 2 or 3 weeks worth of holidays left before looking to move on. I never advocate throwing a sickie in order to start a new job, but you may need to entertain the idea.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

What happens if you get the contract, give notice to your employer, and then the contract falls through? It happens every day. Basically, you want to step straight from a job into a contract, but do you have a safety net?

You are starting your own business. You should have some capital behind you to see you through from receiving your final salary, to being paid on your first invoice (which is very very unlikely to be 30 days after your last salary).

You also should have enough savings to live on for a while. You might be in your first contract for a week and they tell you not to go back on Monday (that is the nature of contracting). Can you afford to survive a few more weeks unpaid, until you find another contract - what if it's a few months? What if it's a year?

Contracting is not the easy life some on here make it out to be, especially not at the start.
          Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks in advance !
            I would like to be nice as I am trying to turn a new leaf but I kinda of refuse to spoon feed someone who I think isn't being honest with us. There are many threads on here about starting including some stickes and articles for a start. There is much more out there on the web etc. Show some effort and we might do so as well....

Also....

The only other thread you posted says you are in a contract that might be ending.. see below... So I don't even think you are being honest.. Link

My clearance application is being processed by employer, but my contract may end before the clearance comes through..

Can i check the progress of my sc clearance application anywhere?

If i leave the company before i get the clearance, is there a way to know i got cleared?

Thanks!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I would like to be nice as I am trying to turn a new leaf but I kinda of refuse to spoon feed someone who I think isn't being honest with us. There are many threads on here about starting including some stickes and articles for a start. There is much more out there on the web etc. Show some effort and we might do so as well....

Also....

The only other thread you posted says you are in a contract that might be ending.. see below... So I don't even think you are being honest.. Link
              And now I think he is a sockpuppet.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                And now I think he is a sockpuppet.
                I dont believe these are fake accounts(we've had a lot to be fair). There's no point to them from a trolling perspective, cannot see what you'd get out of it from a mickey taking perspective.

I think they're real for whats is worth.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I asked all these questions about 6 months ago and had a lot of feedback on it which I used to get me into contracting. So have a read through the forums.

Firstly, secure a contract, lie to the agent about your notice period (1 or 2 week notice period) if you must. Once you have secured the contract, speak to your employer and tell them your situation and that you have a desire to move on. If you are honest with your employers, they will more likely respect you and let you leave early. You may never be able to work for them again though, especially if you leave at short notice, but you never know.
                  Bull - they didn't let me go, I had to work my 75% of my notice period. They will never let you go at 1-2 weeks notice if you are any good. Min 3-4 weeks which is too much most of the time. You can leave but that is no way to get into contracting.

Also I have started to appreciate why us contractors get paid so much more than perm staff. Ever heard of job security? Well there is none here, no 2nd chances, no mercy, no income protection. If you aint good then you get the axe, simple as. I have seen it happen a few times already in my short time as a contractor. So be sure that you can be up there with the best or else its bye bye.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I dont believe these are fake accounts(we've had a lot to be fair). There's no point to them from a trolling perspective, cannot see what you'd get out of it from a mickey taking perspective.

I think they're real for whats is worth.
                    I agree. Each is different. Some are just plain lazy posts with poor spelling and badly thought out questions that are just off the cuff while they are surfing. With this one I think English is a second language and the OP is a devious little so and so, lying to create a situation in which people will help him.. Where do we see that mixture too often hey?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X