• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before you escape from the pimp?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before you escape from the pimp?

Anybody (Dodgy?) know what happens if an agent sets up an interview for you, nothing happens for X months and then you get the job? Can you escape from the agent's evil clutches or do you still have to throw away 15% of your hard-earned cash?

Presumably there is a contract between the agency and the client for a specific period. Does anybody know how long that period usually is?

Hugebrain.

Originally posted by hugebrain
    Anybody (Dodgy?) know what happens if an agent sets up an interview for you, nothing happens for X months and then you get the job? Can you escape from the agent's evil clutches or do you still have to throw away 15% of your hard-earned cash?
    Who offered you this job?

Who did you sign a contract with?

How do you know whether or not the agent has been doing anything during those X months?

Comment

If it is for the same position that the agency introduced you to the client for I doubt there is ever an "expiry date" unless there was a specificlly agreed ones between agency/client and agency/contractor, which i would highly doubt any agency in their right mind would agree to.

If it's for a different position things can get a little murky (if client contacted you direct)

But as to your objections, delays of "months" rarely have anything to do with the agency, look to the client and be wary as this "history" should tell you a lot about them.

Comment

Who is to say that you got this role some time later from cold calling companies and marketing yourself. The fact that it is at a client where an agency once pitched your services could just be a coincidence. If the agency introducttion was a couple of months down the line and the clint contacted you, then I would say it is fair to leave the agency out of the deal.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

When I attend an interview I always leave my business card so that the client may contact me about "further business" in the future...

It works, try it...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            When I attend an interview I always leave my business card so that the client may contact me about "further business" in the future...

It works, try it...

If you are going there direct and the agency have not been involved I cannot see there being a problem.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
              If you are going there direct and the agency have not been involved I cannot see there being a problem.
              Nick, let me just bounce something off you.

An agent has organised an interview with a client. I've attended the interview. The client wishes to work on an agreed fixed price per piece of work basis. How do I square this with the agent who wishes to organise an hourly rate contract?

Also, if in the future I'm offered fixed price work am I still beholden to the agent and have to chuck him a bung?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill

It works, try it...
                Churchill speaks wisely. Also I put them on the corporate Christmas card list for the following year.

Comment

Working...
                X