• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Britain

A German might ask; Vot is it viz ze Britishers zese days?

There was a time when Great British chaps set off in a sailing ship to explore the earth, with no more than a map of the northern French coast and directions from some chap in the pub who’d heard of a place with giant two legged rabbits bouncing around carrying their young in pouches. Sure enough, some fine chaps found Australia and then sent assorted chavs to inhabit it.

There was a time when fine Great British chaps with tweed jackets and a pipe hanging from their mouths designed, built and then piloted jet powered boats and aeroplanes with bouncing bombs and raced high speed automobiles on Pendine Sands wearing little more than a t-shirt and a cloth cap. Oh, and smoking a pipe while they were at it.

The only reward these fine chaps desired was a cup of tea and an occasional ‘wee dram’ as our Caledonian brothers might call it.

Now I see people mocking and jesting about Great Britain’s space programme as if Great British chaps are not capable of emulating the exploits of Yanks and Ruskies.

What a sad state of affairs. It seems the Brits have lost their self confidence and it must be restored for the good of all.

What can be done, quickly and efficiently and within 1 year of a general election, aside from the removal of a Mr Brown from 10 Downing Street, to revive the great spirit of innovation, exploration and derring-do that put that word ‘Great’ in front of ‘Britain’?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I could tell you but then I'll be banned.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      I could tell you but then I'll be banned.
      I’m not looking for nasty negative things that should be done to people (except to the Labour party), but practical, positive things that the new occupant of number 10 could do to raise the spirits of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        ... aside from the removal of a Mr Brown from 10 Downing Street, to revive the great spirit of innovation, exploration and derring-do that put that word ‘Great’ in front of ‘Britain’?
        That would propbably be a great start.

Incidentally in the Cosmos series you mentioned recently (of which I've watched almost all episodes now) Sagan says that the cost of a trip to the Far East in these early pioneering days was about the cost of sending a spaceship to space today, very, very expensive, and about the same timescales too, at 3 years or so.

Comment

I’m not looking for nasty negative things that should be done to people (except to the Labour party), but practical, positive things that the new occupant of number 10 could do to raise the spirits of all.
          Build a big amphitheatre and feed the chavs to the lions!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            That would propbably be a great start.

Incidentally in the Cosmos series you mentioned recently (of which I've watched almost all episodes now) Sagan says that the cost of a trip to the Far East in these early pioneering days was about the cost of sending a spaceship to space today, very, very expensive, and about the same timescales too, at 3 years or so.
            Thank you; the Great British space program is a jolly good thing indeed. I say they should be given the full support of everybody, on the sole condition they wear tweed jackets and smoke a pipe while wielding their t-squares and pencils!

How about a new attempt at the world water speed record? Or a new ocean liner to win the Blue Riband? Perchance that a great steel suspension bridge could be constructed to link the British to their Hibernian cousins?

Comment

Thank you; the Great British space program is a jolly good thing indeed. I say they should be given the full support of everybody, on the sole condition they wear tweed jackets and smoke a pipe while wielding their sliderules and propelling pencils!

How about a new attempt at the world water speed record? Or a new ocean liner to win the Blue Riband? Perchance that a great steel suspension bridge could be constructed to link the British to their Hibernian cousins?
              FTFY

Comment

<snip>
                Seems to me you ask the same question repeatedly. In so many words; Why is the UK so crap?
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Build more railways with cracking stations and mighty bridges.

Comment

Ban clothing made from petrochemicals.

Comment

Working...
                    X