• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rant about environments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant about environments

So been busting my hump all week, working long days and long nights to get the current release of the system massaged through to UAT sign off.

As the system testing is piss weak, I have implemented a new "Pre UAT" phase which is wholly and soley me and is an attempt at squeezing out issues before UAT so at least we can say we know about them.

Until today. The whole UAT was a failure. And the reason?

The development, integration, pre prod and live environments are all on different versions of the software. Different versions of JBOSS, MySQL, patch levels. Horrible.

And to cap it all, the code has financial aspects to it with a month end process. So if the financial process fails during UAT it is a one shot gun. There is no way of rolling back and going again.

Just spent an hour explaining simple configuration management, snapshots of virtual machines, change management procedures.

Will they listen? We'll see.

It's just a shame to see a team collectively try so hard and still come wide of the mark time and time again.

This is why I have been a grumpy fracker all week.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

maven

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      maven
      I love you
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

These issues are depressingly common, but you can't help but laugh at the look of wonder on peoples faces when you explain it to them.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          These issues are depressingly common, but you can't help but laugh at the look of wonder on peoples faces when you explain it to them.
          I agree - although I wouldn't use the word "depressingly".
          Its how I earn a crust... and the fact that I can earn a decent crust repeatedly "stating the bleeding obvious" is amazing but not depressing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
            I agree - although I wouldn't use the word "depressingly".
            Its how I earn a crust... and the fact that I can earn a decent crust repeatedly "stating the bleeding obvious" is amazing but not depressing!!
            I'm old school - lock down everything apart from dev and nail some sense into 'em!
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              I'm old school - lock down everything apart from dev and nail some sense into 'em!
              I keep stressing to them that all of the "processes" that they pretend they are so keen on have either the word "Management" or "Control" in them (Config, Change, Version, Release, Environment, Test etc etc) which they should actually try doing.....

Its not just "recording"!!!

Comment

Oi Suity! I hope you are not still on site?
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  This is why I have been a grumpy fracker all week.

You have?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Perfectly reasonable rants, without proper environments and tests there's no way to implement a solution with any assurance.

Comment

Working...
                    X