• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldest Book you own!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest Book you own!

Not many people know this but I collect antiquarian books on Esoteric subjects. Picked up a 1st Edition Barretts Magus last year, a 2nd addition Culpeppers and a copy of Lillys Astrology from 1659.

I have some early copies of Malleus Maleficarum and some bibles from 1580 but nothing before that. On the hunt for a 1st of Malleus Maleficarum but fear it may now be out of my price range.

New technology and old books! Anyone else have an interesting collecting hobby and if you have books, whats the oldest?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Not many people know this but I collect antiquarian books on Esoteric subjects. Picked up a 1st Edition Barretts Magus last year, a 2nd addition Culpeppers and a copy of Lillys Astrology from 1659.

I have some early copies of Malleus Maleficarum and some bibles from 1580 but nothing before that. On the hunt for a 1st of Malleus Maleficarum but fear it may now be out of my price range.

New technology and old books! Anyone else have an interesting collecting hobby and if you have books, whats the oldest?
    Got a few Bee Books...... but they aren't in the same league.... Langstroth was mid 1800s I think... and he is the "daddy" so to speak

Comment

Since my interest is fishing I will go with a 1937 copy of the Hardy's Anglers' Guide.

Comment

I have a first edition of a book by H.G. Wells (yes, the famous one) but of course it's not very old. Nor worth very much.

And a copy of Baron Münchhausen, 1891.

Little else book-wise. Well, I have lots of books, but nothing notable.

I mostly collect DVDs. But by the standards of an obsessional collector probably not very many (about 500 at the last count).

Comment

I'm partial to Victorian and Edwardian humorous fiction; I've got quite a few early editions of W. W. Jacobs floating around the place, but none are first editions (actually, one may be). To be honest I buy them for the enjoyment of the writing rather than seeing them as something I collect.

I've got a first edition of On The Beach but sans dustjacket, so that's not really worth much either.

Comment

I have Issue 2 to 10 of 2000AD & Judge Dredd from 1977 with some of the original freebies if that counts.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've lost so many, but I still have a first edition Kernighan & Ritchie here somewhere.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I'm partial to Victorian and Edwardian humorous fiction; I've got quite a few early editions of W. W. Jacobs floating around the place, but none are first editions (actually, one may be). To be honest I buy them for the enjoyment of the writing rather than seeing them as something I collect.

I've got a first edition of On The Beach but sans dustjacket, so that's not really worth much either.
                Don't get me wrong I read the books I have. I also have a collection of Dickens. But there's something real about 'old' books. My parents were antique dealers and when I was a kid I was dragged from antique fair to antique fair. It's just funny out of all things I was exposed to there's nothing better than an ornate book binding.

Exploration books as well, check out this guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Fawcett. Exploration Fawcett! Class read.
                Last edited by MarillionFan; 25 March 2010, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I have Issue 2 to 10 of 2000AD & Judge Dredd from 1977 with some of the original freebies if that counts.
                  I used to collect comics as well. Got a suitcase of them in the roof.

Comment

I've got a few very early editions of some Spanish plays (Cervantes, Lope De Vega) and some early 19th century copies of the works of Doc Johnson.

I recently bought a nice set of the Ingoldsby Legends with the original Cruikshank/Leech engravings. The books and pictures are lovely, but the stories are pretty rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                    X