• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alistair Darling admits post election spending cuts worse than the 80s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alistair Darling admits post election spending cuts worse than the 80s

From the BBC website.
    Darling concedes cuts could be tougher than 1980s

Alistair Darling has conceded that if Labour is re-elected public spending cuts will be "tougher and deeper" than those implemented by Margaret Thatcher.
    There's no argument from the Conservatives against this either. I don't think that will come as much of a surprise to many of us but it would mean that the second part of the recession will be much worse than the first.

Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen, I hope your warchests are looking healthy.

And for that reason, I'm hoping Labour win.

I want people to really see what every Labour government ends up like, bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I want people to really see what every Labour government ends up like, bankrupt.
      Aye.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

<sigh> Not every Labour government ends up bankrupt, only the last one. Even then they weren't really bankrupt that was a Treasury miscalculation.

The question for me is What is Darling up to? Is he deliberately trying to set up a Labour loss?

Comment

I have the impression they are having trouble keeping the Pound from sliding following the budget. In recent weeks as soon as the Pound slid below 1.5 to USD it was as if some invisible hand appeared to push it back up. But not over the last day or so. They may have to talk tough to keep it from diving into the x-axis.

Comment

Britain is on the brink of losing its triple A credit rating.

By talking "tough" it keeps the credit rating agencies quiet (for now).

Comment

Are we still importing people like there's no tomorrow while unemployment sky rockets?

Comment

Why does this come as a surprise ??

The way Labour was borrowing and needlessly spending it was like the maths book was torn up.

Tough times ahead but anybody who made hay while the sun shone will sit there contented while the rest of the hard working families will suffer for years.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I have the impression they are having trouble keeping the Pound from sliding following the budget.
                  You have it back to front. Weak pound = good. They have no intention of trying to see gbp strengthen. This is our chance at competitive advantage over our main trading partners in Europe who cant devalue as freely. 1gbp = 1eur would be suit just nicely. From a macro perspective.
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I have the impression they are having trouble keeping the Pound from sliding following the budget. In recent weeks as soon as the Pound slid below 1.5 to USD it was as if some invisible hand appeared to push it back up. But not over the last day or so. They may have to talk tough to keep it from diving into the x-axis.
                    My daily forex report tells me that there are a load of stops lined up at 1.485. I wish I understood what that means.

Comment

Working...
                    X