• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blu-ray films from blockbusters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray films from blockbusters

does anybody know if rented blu ray films will play in a PC with a Blu Ray drive. i.e. there is no copy protection on them that would prevent this.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

You may need to upgrade the firmware on the drive, periodically my LG drive asks me to update otherwise it won't be able to play the latest Bluray discs.

Other than that, they will play fine.

Marlon

Comment

cheers
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by marlon View Post
        You may need to upgrade the firmware on the drive, periodically my LG drive asks me to update otherwise it won't be able to play the latest Bluray discs.

I had that recently with my PS3. Rented a blu-ray from Lovefilm and it refused to play until I'd updated the PS3 firmware.

Normally that's a non-issue but recently Sony stuffed up a firmware update that caused a few problems, so I'm now reluctant to do updates blindly. Same goes for Windows update, only mugs would have it switched to fully automated.

On the plus side, at least the firmware can be updated to cope with the evolving blu-ray standard and feature set.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

You should be ok on on PC, if it's a standalone player (ps3 etc...) then that's where you'll have the problems.

I have a media centre and rent b-r from lovefilm with no problems.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            does anybody know if rented blu ray films will play in a PC with a Blu Ray drive. i.e. there is no copy protection on them that would prevent this.
            Tony, you can just download films from the internet now.

HTH
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              You should be ok on on PC, if it's a standalone player (ps3 etc...) then that's where you'll have the problems.

I have a media centre and rent b-r from lovefilm with no problems.
              Why is that then? Most bluray players have the ability to update firmware, the PS3 for example.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Why is that then? Most bluray players have the ability to update firmware, the PS3 for example.
                If you happen to get a brand new blu ray that's just been released some of the standalones haven't the updated firmware is all.

It's a complete pain.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                  Tony, you can just download films from the internet now.

HTH
                  Not with audio description on you can't

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                  X