• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a good newspaper/site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good newspaper/site

Seeing as I, and I expect Mr Moorfield, will soon be asked to pay for the use of The Times website, and seeing as said Times has become a bogroll of tabloid dross unworthy of my somewhat easily earned cash, I shall be seeking a new source of English language news. In Holland I get the NRC Handelsblad in the evenings, which is a very good newspaper.

I'm looking for a paper that serves the following demographic;
    - educated professionals, international outlook
    - moderate right wing conservativish libertarianish
    - literate, able to find pictures of tits somewhere else (no Sun)
    - uninterested in celebrity gossip (no tabloids)
    - don't need political messages stuffed down my throat (so no grauniad or torygraph)

Feel free to make flippant suggestions but I'd appreciate it if you also make a sensible suggestion. It doesn't necessarily need to be a British paper, but English language.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

International Herald Tribune?

Personally I stick to the daily mash and rely on regular CUK posters such as dim prawn and ATW to alert me to anything important.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Seeing as I, and I expect Mr Moorfield, will soon be asked to pay for the use of The Times website, and seeing as said Times has become a bogroll of tabloid dross unworthy of my somewhat easily earned cash, I shall be seeking a new source of English language news. In Holland I get the NRC Handelsblad in the evenings, which is a very good newspaper.

I'm looking for a paper that serves the following demographic;
      - educated professionals, international outlook
      - moderate right wing conservativish libertarianish
      - literate, able to find pictures of tits somewhere else (no Sun)
      - uninterested in celebrity gossip (no tabloids)
      - don't need political messages stuffed down my throat (so no grauniad or torygraph)

Feel free to make flippant suggestions but I'd appreciate it if you also make a sensible suggestion. It doesn't necessarily need to be a British paper, but English language.
      Well you obviously know/have considered all the usual suspects.... all I can suggest from here is- The Arab News...
      It (roughly) meets your criteria:
      - educated professionals, international outlook : Tick
      - moderate right wing conservativish libertarianish : Tick-ish - depends what you consider moderate or libetarian
      - literate, able to find pictures of tits somewhere else (no Sun) : Yep No tits anywhere
      - uninterested in celebrity gossip (no tabloids) : Yep - odd story on celeb... but not recogniseable
      - don't need political messages stuffed down my throat (so no grauniad or torygraph) : Tick

Oh Sorry and its got Hagar, Dilbert and a couple of other cartoons!!

Comment

If photojournalism interests you at all, you'd do worse than to take a look at Boston.Com they have some stunning pictures there.

Click through some of the pictures of Haiti 70 days on or Chile 9 days on.

Comment

FT

but you have to pay

but if you clear your cookies you can keep reading
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
          X