• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arghhhh...no stamp duty up to £250K doesn't apply to..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arghhhh...no stamp duty up to £250K doesn't apply to..

...those who bought a place abroad.
    So my tiny Bulgarian flat that I bought with 25K I saved in Saudi 6 or 7 years counts. Argh...I only bought the flipper because UK house prices had risen by that much while I was away!

Well it's not registered with land authorities there any more because they went computerised and didn't want to type it all in.

I could well see myself keeping tight lipped about it!

Feckers!

Yes buy now, prices are rising, you don't want to miss the property ladder.

Comment

It's a very strict definition of first time buyers.

If you have previously owned a caravan, then you don't count as a first time buyer either.
      If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

You bought a bulgarian flat because UK property was too expensive?

Surely you had more reason than that?

Anyhoo, what's it worth now?
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Look everybody!

A house price-related thread!

TL;DR:

Buy low, sell high.

HTH
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            ...those who bought a place abroad.
            So my tiny Bulgarian flat that I bought with 25K I saved in Saudi 6 or 7 years counts. Argh...I only bought the flipper because UK house prices had risen by that much while I was away!

Well it's not registered with land authorities there any more because they went computerised and didn't want to type it all in.

I could well see myself keeping tight lipped about it!

flipers!
            How on earth would they be able to find out you have a place in Bulgaria? I assume they will be doing Land Registry checks to validate first time buyer claims, but that will only find UK properties. I'd keep quiet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
              How on earth would they be able to find out you have a place in Bulgaria?
              Hector reads these threads.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It did peak about about 95K Euro...not sure now...60 maybe? 65...though Euro is 10 or 15% stronger than it was and I spent a fair bit more than the initial price and kitting it out, taxes and blah..still never worked out what it cost in the end...hopefully I'll get back more than what the bank interest would have been.

No, main reason was basically spite, I'd basically worked my tits off in that hell hole and got nowhere. Figured house prices in UK were unsustainable and I could see myself drinking bad lager surrounded by impossibly slim girl on the beach there quite easily so I went for it.

Will since it's not registered (well not properly at least) in BG I agree, how the flip would they find out.

Oh my goooood......I owned a caravan once too this is not my day

sniff sniff

P.S. yup know he does but I try not to give too give the game away totally

All in all though..realise 1% is a lot, but house prices up and down as they are, it's hard to say it but £2500 is small fry.
                Last edited by Olly; 26 March 2010, 15:19.

Comment

Just wait two years until the limit goes back down (although the 5% bracket will stay), you won't feel as bad then...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Just thought too, many BG properties are owned by companies who are owned by Brits....try blinkin policing that one Hector

Comment

Working...
                    X