• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Earth Hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Hour

What is the point of this? What is it for?

In my time zone we are now half way through it. Mrs Gonzo has insisted that we turn all the lights off. I am allowed to keep the computers and the TV on though.

I have had to prop one of the fridge-doors open just so that I can see.

Will any others on here being going through this?

I'm going to make a donation to earth, and have a dump.

Comment

I am going to switch every single server in the office, the air conditioner, the oven, the kettle, the dishwasher, the tumble dryer, all the lights, fans and electrical system on just to see if the rotating meter disk breaks up like a CD in a fast drive.

I shall do this every hour, on the hour while shouting "There's no such thing as Anthropomorphic Global Warming!" to my sheep-like, bovine, incapable of original thought, neighbours.

I shall laugh at their carbon footprint to produce their inefficient electric cars that are powered and constructed by the burning of fossil fuels.

I shall laugh at all the wind turbines subsidised by our taxes and their large carbon footprints produced in the construction of their lubricants, the replacement of moving parts and the huge concrete bases that cannot be dug up in order to turn the land back into something useful like food production.

I shall laugh as they try and connect a wind farm to the grid in the vain hope of removing the number of load balancing fossil fuel power stations and to their horror find, like they have in Denmark, that the total removed is in fact zero because of the unpredictability of the wind and the time required (in days) to start up a power station.

I shall laugh as they are forced to sell their surplus electricity from the wind farms to other countries for free as it is not required.

I shall laugh as the manager takes wind farms off the grid because as E.On found in their trials in Germany, windfarms disrupt and spike grid management.

In actual fact I shall laugh at any follower of the global warming church as I do with anyone who blindly follows any religion. Or votes Liebour.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        rant
        Superb !

Comment

I am going to switch every single server in the office, the air conditioner, the oven, the kettle, the dishwasher, the tumble dryer, all the lights, fans and electrical system on just to see if the rotating meter disk breaks up like a CD in a fast drive.

I shall do this every hour, on the hour while shouting "There's no such thing as Anthropomorphic Global Warming!" to my sheep-like, bovine, incapable of original thought, neighbours.

I shall laugh at their carbon footprint to produce their inefficient electric cars that are powered and constructed by the burning of fossil fuels.

I shall laugh at all the wind turbines subsidised by our taxes and their large carbon footprints produced in the construction of their lubricants, the replacement of moving parts and the huge concrete bases that cannot be dug up in order to turn the land back into something useful like food production.

I shall laugh as they try and connect a wind farm to the grid in the vain hope of removing the number of load balancing fossil fuel power stations and to their horror find, like they have in Denmark, that the total removed is in fact zero because of the unpredictability of the wind and the time required (in days) to start up a power station.

I shall laugh as they are forced to sell their surplus electricity from the wind farms to other countries for free as it is not required.

I shall laugh as the manager takes wind farms off the grid because as E.On found in their trials in Germany, windfarms disrupt and spike grid management.

In actual fact I shall laugh at any follower of the global warming church as I do with anyone who blindly follows any religion. Or votes Liebour.
          ovine
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ho Ho.

And I shall guffaw at your feeble Straw Man arguments..

"Denmark is connected by transmission line to other European countries and therefore it does not need to install additional peak-load plant to balance its wind power. Instead, it purchases additional power from its neighbours when necessary. With some strengthening of the grid, Denmark plans to increase wind's share even further"

Why is the number of 'conventional' power plants replaced by wind significant? Answer - it's not, it's the amount of CO2 NOT emiited as demand is met by non-emitting sources. In fact "wind power accounts for almost 20% of the power generated in Denmark, it covers only 10–14% of the country's demand. Power in excess of immediate demand is exported to Germany, Norway, and Sweden. The latter two have considerable hydropower resources, which can rapidly reduce their generation whenever wind farms are generating surplus power, saving water for later".

I had no idea that the Danes were providing this as a free service to their neighbours, astonishing! I was likewise unaware that fossil fuels are NOT subsidised by the taxpayer!

And I shall bite my lip and point out that E.ON themselves describe this as a myth:

“Germany plans to massively increase its wind energy output from almost 17 GW today to 36 GW in 2015 and 48 GW in 2020 and a recent report confirms that this is is technically feasible from a grid perspective and economically very effective. This expansion should deliver 14 % of the country?s electricity consumption by 2015.” (DENA, 2005)

I got that from an FAQ document about 'Wind Power Myths and Facts', published by, er, E.ON.

In actual fact I shall laugh at any follower of the global warming church as I do with anyone who blindly follows any religion
            You're just a barrel of laughs, aren't you? Given the massive concensus amongst scientists, it requires a massive amount of faith to believe the modern rapid global warming is anything other than anthropogenic. I have a quiet chortle at the naivity of those who claim otherwise ....
            My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              lots of stuff
              I'll tell you my problem.

You swamp everyone with reams and reams of stuff - long, long posts with loads and loads of links, that frankly sent me to sleep. Then you (and your Mini-Me sasguru) never answered queries about subs surfacing at the north pole 50 years ago, or the lack of carbon dioxide increase as fossil fuels run out, as another branch of doom-mongery insists will happen long before the waves are due to lap over the fens.

Debate on here reduces to "my source is better than your source", which is also as boring as f***.

I have a short attention span. Fair enough, I'm probably thick. But so have at least 95% of the population of the world. Right now a lot of people think data is manipulated and fiddled for political and research-funding reasons.

If you want to win people over and save the planet, you'd improve your chances if you make your contributions a bit more snappy.

Just saying, like.

Comment

... never answered queries about subs surfacing at the north pole 50 years ago
                Here ya go
                Debate on here reduces to "my source is better than your source", which is also as boring as f***.
                Is that why you never actually gave us any sources for your assertions? But yeah, I certainly can see the attractions of just repeating half-remembered stuff off the FaceTube Interweb thing, rather than the undoubted tedium of opening an academic journal once in a while.

Right now a lot of people think data is manipulated and fiddled for political and research-funding reasons.
                Some may indeed, however there is precisely zip, nada, zilch evidence on which to form such a belief. Hmmm, a belief formed in the absence of hard evidence - sort of like, a religion then? :-).

Allegation 1: Did you engage in, or participate in, directly or indirectly, any actions with the intent to suppress or falsify data?

Decision: NO. Michael Mann did not engage in, or participate in, directly or indirectly, any actions with the intent to suppress or falsify data

(Highly Credible) source.

Snappy enough?
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

The current global political reaction to the reality of climate change is the result of about 50 years of science. Most of the people in power, who you seem convinced are out to get you, didn't believe it either 20 or 30 years ago.

I shall save my laughter for the day you realise you've been taken in.

I agree a lot of the proposed "solutions" are anything but. You may be interested in this.

http://www.withouthotair.com/download.html
                  Last edited by doodab; 28 March 2010, 01:00.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Thank you for your reply Phil. Although I wrote these things in “rant” mode, they’re not feeble Straw Man arguments.

Denmark is uniquely placed to take advantage of Norway and Sweden’s hydro power for load balancing due to their locality but it is creating increasing demands on Norway’s spare hydro capacity for instance and more so if it intends to expand its own unpredictable wind farm capability.

Despite the unique advantage that the relatively smaller and lower power consumption footprint Denmark has compared with other countries, this does not make the argument for wind farms for all other countries because in order to remove fossil fuelled load balancing power stations, you have to fill the demand from spare hydro power from somewhere. If Denmark increases its reliance on wind technology further it will be more dependent on available spare capacity from other providers.

To fully utilise spare electricity from wind production, there must be a need to store surplus energy, for which there is no cost effective way of doing so far.

Even our own home grown load balance power stations like Ffestiniog are a net consumer of electricity and only repay the large capital costs of construction by the differential in providing power at peak demand from the storage of water by reverse storage pumping using lower cost off peak electricity.

The cost of redesigning a super efficient national interconnected grid in a country like the USA would be extreme and the transmissions cost would be excessive.

There is plenty of evidence that can show that superfluous exported wind energy capacity from Denmark is sold at below the spot market price.

E.ON have commented on the grid instabilities before as have other institutes saying:

“The operation experience from the Danish offshore windfarm in the North Sea ... the wind and power gradients are so excessive that power output changes between zero and rated operations within a period of less than 15 minutes. Once started, such power fluctuations last for a period of hours...”

Germany has reached the limits of the transmission system in terms of regional distribution, temporal distribution and technology.

The limitations of wind farm technology and the significant costs versus conventional fossil fuelled power stations are only apparent when you consider the global management of power. You cannot map Denmark’s wind farm penetration onto the UK for instance as we do not have access to significant local spare hydro capacity for load balancing, only conventional.

Wind farms are given lavish subsidies compared with conventional power stations so distorting the energy market, meaning that turbines can make a profit even if they are operating at very low load factors.

Given the massive concensus amongst scientists...
                    The link you have given is some bloke’s blog.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X