• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

YES MAN or NO MAN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES MAN or NO MAN

are you more of a YES person or a NO person?

since last year and previous, i considered myself very much a YES person, always agreeing to things, to build successful business relationships etc...

however, i came across a bit of a predicament last week, and decided to take a different viewpoint from a collegue who i was working with and saying NO.

This lead me to state that i felt that i had co-operated sufficently and provided the required information the said employee requested from me, unfortunalty she felt otherwise.

it felt good, but however, it also felt that i could have put some strain on developing a working relationship with this employee.

do you think this kind of thing is accepted in organisations today, or are we moving towards a more YES kind of working ethic/society.

and ultimatley am i going to find working here more hard work now i have said what i have said...??

Originally posted by el duder

since last year and previous, i considered myself very much a YES person, always agreeing to things, to build successful business relationships etc...

however, i came across a bit of a predicament last week, and decided to take a different viewpoint from a collegue who i was working with and saying NO.

This lead me to state that i felt that i had co-operated sufficently and provided the required information the said employee requested from me, unfortunalty she felt otherwise.

it felt good, but however, it also felt that i could have put some strain on developing a working relationship with this employee.

do you think this kind of thing is accepted in organisations today, or are we moving towards a more YES kind of working ethic/society.

and ultimatley am i going to find working here more hard work now i have said what i have said...??

Memorise the following to be used when pestered continuously by the same staffer or contractor...

"Oh, so you want me to do your fecking job as well, eh?"

HTH.

Comment

Sometimes if someone is asking you repeatedly about the same thing it maybe that you didn't answer the question fully. I always treat people as though one day they could be reading my CV or be asked their opinion of me by hirer. If someone is soaking up a lot of my time I subtly/gently let my line manager know.

For the last six years I've secured all my contacts without using a pimp. Although sometimes I've had to use one for payroll etc.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
        I subtly/gently let my line manager know.
        By giving him a blow job?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
          Sometimes if someone is asking you repeatedly about the same thing it maybe that you didn't answer the question fully. I always treat people as though one day they could be reading my CV or be asked their opinion of me by hirer. If someone is soaking up a lot of my time I subtly/gently let my line manager know.

For the last six years I've secured all my contacts without using a pimp. Although sometimes I've had to use one for payroll etc.
          Bollox!

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I only work for attractive FEMALE line managers who want to pump me for my knowledge. Blow jobs do come (sic) into it.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Ok Zeitghost you're from another galaxy. Male member - female hand (pumping) - into female mouth. Sorry to be so graphic. But I wanted to answer your question fully.

Comment

female hand (pumping) - into female mouth!!!!

Truely an Alien thing

Comment

Originally posted by el duder

I think you have to figure out the lie of the land.

When I arrive at a site, I tend to avoid expressing overt opinions and to keep a low profile. As time goes on, I figure out who can handle the truth, and who wants lickspittles. Honesty can be seriously detrimental to progress. Some people are dangerous. Most aren't.

On my current contract the head honcho keeps on telling me in detail that the product is tulipe because the underlying framework is tulipe. I try and appear sympathetic but not agree as I am seated next to the framework team, and its likely that when my work runs out, I will move over to the framework team. I don't want to alienate them. But the framework is tulipe.

On a personal level, if someone has no power over me, and they piss me off, I usually let them know without any room for doubt. I've told people to "Feck orff" before. Some people say it is unprofessional behaviour. I say that it is appropriate and one or two people do not understand anything else. I'm not going to waste my time dealing with someone who is obnoxious. If they are decent, then they usually change their tune and become reasonable.

Fungus

Comment

Working...
                  X