• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being a tourist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a tourist

Despite all the years spent living and working on and off in London I never got around to doing the tourist thing.

Mrs CH lived there for five years and didn't do much either so having a day to spare before heading home from the spring bash was a perfect opportunity.

So, got the postcards, T-shirts, quality souvenirs, photos, boat trip down to Greenwich to see Harrison's clocks and some really excellent pub food a great time was had.

I wouldn't want to live there again but more frequent tourist trips are definitley on the cards.
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    So, got the postcards, T-shirts, quality souvenirs, photos, boat trip down to Greenwich to see Harrison's clocks and some really excellent pub food a great time was had.
    Plastic Big Ben and a Paddington Bear dressed as a Beefeater?

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
      How did you know?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          The best souvenir someone brought me back from London was when I was a nipper. It was a gyroscope which when spun up balanced atop a model of, er, Blackpool Tower.

Hours of fun and much better than some plastic touristy item.

Ye Gods. This is the one!
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            The best souvenir someone brought me back from London was when I was a nipper. It was a gyroscope which when spun up balanced atop a model of, er, Blackpool Tower.

Hours of fun and much better than some plastic touristy item.

Ye Gods. This is the one!
            Got some compasses (the pointing kind), a seriously useful sextant and some really cool aviation art.

And a pic standing beside a part of Herschel's telescope. Oh, and straddling the 0' meridian

I love this tulip, my degree's astronomy and I've got stick time on fast jets - sans pasta.

Had the best time
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              I wouldn't want to live there again but more frequent tourist trips are definitley on the cards.
              Used to go there for holidays as a kid. Always loads to see and do. Natural History and Science Museums as well as the Imperial war Museum. Have always fancied doing the Jack the Ripper tour but ain't made it yet. Mrs SB has family up in the smoke so may get there soon.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
              X