• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one to choose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one to choose?

Hi,

Having a confusing question I would like to ask for advice. I have been offered places on two different courses. These are (imho) similar in what they aim to achieve though fairly different in their content. What I want to ask is what is the difference between the jobs/positions I can expect regarding my choice.

(Any advice is welcome)

The courses:

Computer Systems and Networking BSc. (Hons)

IT with Networking BSc. (Hons)

Thank you for your help.

Surely you should be making a choice depending on what job you want to do, not the other way around?

What kind of IT role do you want when you leave uni?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

None.

Do an accounting degree or work out how to become an MP.*

That way you can ensure your job doesn't get outsourced or foreign companies can use corrupt Nu Labour MPs to put policies in place to bring foreign workers here on legal loopholes.

*Hint for the second one do an easier degree, spend all your time at uni strongly involved in student politics (you want to be head of the Students Union) and get in with the political party who isn't in power now.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Find out where University of Greenwich stands in terms of ranking of UK universities and take it from there.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Find out where University of Greenwich stands in terms of ranking of UK universities and take it from there.

I've made it easier for you http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

I've also found one from a left wing perspective - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide

1. Find out if the department is any good - if you want to stay in your particular field
          2. Find out if the university is any good - if you decide you want to change careers
          Last edited by SueEllen; 28 March 2010, 19:55.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Out of those 2 the first one looks like a much more useful and interesting curriculum. The second one looks like nu media/management waffle (I'd avoid any computer software degree that says "IT" rather than "Computer Science" or "Software Engineering").

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
              Out of those 2 the first one looks like a much more useful and interesting curriculum. The second one looks like nu media/management waffle (I'd avoid any computer software degree that says "IT" rather than "Computer Science" or "Software Engineering").
              WSS - IT is for Poofs, get into engineering!

Comment

WHS

Do "Computing Science" if you really want to working in IT, expect a lot of hard work. Only 25% of the student on my degree graduated, the rest didn't pass the yearly exams or gave up.

My advise on Uni. is go in every day, no matter what.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

do a Law degree, or Doctor or Accountant

otherwise, if you want to work in IT,

i think it will not really matter which IT degree you choose or where you study, in general during your degree and in the early part of your IT career you will decide where you want to be and you can formulate a plan how to get there

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    WHS

Do "Computing Science" if you really want to working in IT, expect a lot of hard work. Only 25% of the student on my degree graduated, the rest didn't pass the yearly exams or gave up.

My advise on Uni. is go in every day, no matter what.
                    What bloody language was that supposed to be? If you're a product of a university education then you're hardly an advert!

Comment

Working...
                    X